Warning: Function create_function() is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 4
Watertight Axles on Axial Scorpion

Thread: Watertight Axles on Axial Scorpion

Post Thanks / Like

Watertight Axles on Axial Scorpion

(Transferred from previous site)

I am the type of person that loves to tinker. I think that is the main reason I am drawn to RC so much. After seeing some pics of rusted and dirty axles, I decided to try to make mine watertight. I already sprayed all my electronics with liquid electrical tape, which worked out great.

Basically, I cleaned out the small amount of stock grease in the axle and replaced it with waterproof green grease. This is the same stuff my Dad used on his boat axle bearings. Seemed to work good then and that was in salt water, since I grew up in Florida.

Next, I took some black gasket maker, since I want to get these apart some day. My hope is the gasket maker will allow the axles to separate unlike a gasket sealant. Not sure if it works the same on plastic as it does metal, but I got my fingers crossed. I went along both halves of the axles and on the outer bearing covers. I plan on making a small lip seal out of gasket material, but I need to find a 7/16" hole punch.

Not sure if it will help, but it shouldn’t hurt.

[attachment=4:3rsvxfip]Waterproof Axle 2.JPG[/attachment:3rsvxfip]
    [attachment=3:3rsvxfip]Waterproof Axle 3.JPG[/attachment:3rsvxfip]
    [attachment=2:3rsvxfip]Waterproof Axle 4.JPG[/attachment:3rsvxfip]
    [attachment=1:3rsvxfip]Waterproof Axle 6.JPG[/attachment:3rsvxfip]
    [attachment=0:3rsvxfip]Waterproof Axle 7.JPG[/attachment:3rsvxfip]

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Re: Watertight Axles on Axial Scorpion

I did something similar to mine, except I went to the Bass Pro shop and got marine grease for boat motors. I just filled the whole axle with that stuff. It's messy to do, but it won't break down in water. I also lubed all my bearings real well and used a waterproof silicon grease on them. Should work out nicely, and the whole thing is a little quieter now with all the grease in there.