Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Jeep JK Wrangler (Axial) Build
Page 1 of 43 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Jeep JK Wrangler (Axial) Build

Post Thanks / Like

Jeep JK Wrangler (Axial) Build

Well, I have officially started my scale build. I am going to build a Jeep JK Wrangler Rubicon on a mostly Axial SCX10 body. The body is a New Bright and I bought a Axial Honcho kit for most of the parts. I also have the 1.9 ProLine Flat Irons. There are may thoughts swimming in my head, but nothing is final. I plan on posting pictures here as the build progresses.

So back to my first part of the build, since technically the only thing I have so far is the tires and rims. My buddy has a 1:1 Rubicon and I check it out every morning looking for new ideas. He has a net on the side, which looks like the ones they use in racing. I thought it looked cool, so I decided to try one myself. I figured it would be hard to find the material. To my surprise I found everything I needed with one trip to Wal-mart.

[attachment=3:3g5q1hvm]Cargo Net 1.JPG[/attachment:3g5q1hvm]
    [attachment=2:3g5q1hvm]Cargo Net 3.JPG[/attachment:3g5q1hvm]
    [attachment=1:3g5q1hvm]Cargo Net 6.JPG[/attachment:3g5q1hvm]
    [attachment=0:3g5q1hvm]Cargo Net 7.JPG[/attachment:3g5q1hvm]

I think it turned out pretty good. All I have left to do is wrap the straps around the roll bars and fit them to the metal rings. As soon as I build the roll bars. Laughing

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Jeep JK Wrangler (Axial) Build

When I got to the house for lunch today a big brown box was waiting for me. My New Bright Jeep finally arrived and of course I didn't waste any time getting it open. My first thing tot do is strip all the crap off that I don't need. I would like to sell the chassis and remote, but not sure if anyone would buy it from me without the body.

I plan on making a new roll bar and front and rear bumpers. I might add a spare tire carrier on the rear bumper. I saw some rock sliders on-line, but I might try my hand at making those too. I think my Honcho kit will be in later this week. For now a close approximation to the ride height and the tires I plan on using.

[attachment=4:2zr2m0nk]New Bright Stock 1.JPG[/attachment:2zr2m0nk]
    [attachment=3:2zr2m0nk]New Bright Stock 2.JPG[/attachment:2zr2m0nk]
    [attachment=1:2zr2m0nk]New Bright Stock 3.JPG[/attachment:2zr2m0nk]
    [attachment=2:2zr2m0nk]New Bright Stock 6.JPG[/attachment:2zr2m0nk]
    [attachment=0:2zr2m0nk]New Bright Stripped 2.JPG[/attachment:2zr2m0nk]

Post Thanks / Like

Looks cool. Can't wait to see it all done. Do you plan on painting the body?
    Last edited by Gimp; 02-04-2011 at 04:11 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, I got my chassis in today as well as picked up some brass tubing. The first few pictures are my chassis as is, before I modify it. I want to build it out and then start modifying based on how it is going together. I also got a pretty good start on my roll cage tonight. One side is done and the cross brace is fabbed up. I was surprised at how easy it was, just a lot of time to get it fit up correctly.

[attachment=4:3tus4l7y]Rolling Chassis 1.JPG[/attachment:3tus4l7y]
    [attachment=3:3tus4l7y]Rolling Chassis 3.JPG[/attachment:3tus4l7y]
    [attachment=2:3tus4l7y]Roll Cage 2.JPG[/attachment:3tus4l7y]
    [attachment=1:3tus4l7y]Roll Cage 5.JPG[/attachment:3tus4l7y]
    [attachment=0:3tus4l7y]Roll Cage 7.JPG[/attachment:3tus4l7y]

Post Thanks / Like

I now have a rolling chassis. The majority of what I wanted from the Honcho kit was either bolted together or set aside. I ended up swapping a lot of stuff around due to clearance issues. Swapped the suspension links and extended the front to get the tires to sit in the wheel wells. The tranny had the main gear reversed, so it would slip right into a pocket formed by the front seat. I am also thinking about moving the front shock mounts forward a bit to get the shock back to vertical.

I wasn't going to run a slipper clutch, but decided to throw it on at the last minute. My next step is to finish up the roll cage. I would love to mount the body, but I am still not sure the best way to do that. I also need to sort out where the electronics will go, but there appears to be plenty of room.

My steering servo mount was a breeze. I just mounted the stock plate through a front structural support and the servo will now be vertical instead of the stock horizontal. The kit had some bent tie rod ends, which are really sweet.

A lot more to do, but coming along pretty nicely.

[attachment=4:39w327do]Parts Bags 2.JPG[/attachment:39w327do]
    [attachment=3:39w327do]Rolling Chassis 5.JPG[/attachment:39w327do]
    [attachment=2:39w327do]Rolling Chassis 7.JPG[/attachment:39w327do]
    [attachment=1:39w327do]Servo Mount 1.JPG[/attachment:39w327do]
    [attachment=0:39w327do]Light Kits 2.JPG[/attachment:39w327do]

Post Thanks / Like

The roll cage is finished, finally. All that is left is the powder coating, if I can find a shop to do it for me. I also started working on the tire carrier, but ran out of material. I want to make the carrier pivot out. So far my idea is a nail for the hinge. Not quite sure what to do with the latch though.

[attachment=4:3f5qyo7y]DSC04661.JPG[/attachment:3f5qyo7y]
    [attachment=3:3f5qyo7y]DSC04675.JPG[/attachment:3f5qyo7y]
    [attachment=2:3f5qyo7y]DSC04670.JPG[/attachment:3f5qyo7y]

I finally decided to shave off the bumpers and rock skirts. These will be replaced with metal ones. Personally I like it without so much better. Completely changes the look of the truck.

[attachment=1:3f5qyo7y]DSC04668.JPG[/attachment:3f5qyo7y]
    [attachment=0:3f5qyo7y]DSC04669.JPG[/attachment:3f5qyo7y]

Post Thanks / Like

My interior is finished as well. I went with a tan/brown interior. Not sure if this is a stock choice for Jeep, but I just really like the color combination. Unfortunately the pictures show a few flaws, but with the naked eye it all looks pretty good. Besides, once in the truck it is hard to see to begin with.

[attachment=4:2tr7v2ze]New Bright Stock 6.JPG[/attachment:2tr7v2ze]
    [attachment=3:2tr7v2ze]DSC04680.JPG[/attachment:2tr7v2ze]

The front shock was moved forward, by drilling new holes and swapping the shock mounts from side to side. Now the shocks are more vertical instead of leaning back like they were in the stock location. I am going to try it out, but I might need longer drive shafts and/or an extension to the output shaft. If I don't sheer it off maybe I will be ok.

[attachment=2:2tr7v2ze]DSC04676.JPG[/attachment:2tr7v2ze]

With the suspension the way I wanted it I started toying around with the final height for the body. I just have some posts holding it up for now, but I think it is just about right. Plenty of clearance for all moving parts and tons of area for battery and electronic placement.

[attachment=1:2tr7v2ze]DSC04677.JPG[/attachment:2tr7v2ze]
    [attachment=0:2tr7v2ze]DSC04678.JPG[/attachment:2tr7v2ze]

Post Thanks / Like

I started wiring up the electronics. I am using the same set up as my Scorpion for now. I plan on swapping over my Rx until I can get around to buying another one. I am using the same saddle packs and the ESC came from my Scorpion when an upgraded one was purchased. So far everything is fitting, but the rear battery wires squeaked in my a fraction.

One of my favorite things to do is figure out how to make something from another item. If you notice my battery trays, they are cut from a black paint roller tray. It was cheaper than ordering a sheet of ABS plastic.

[attachment=3:g51b9psb]Battery Mount.JPG[/attachment:g51b9psb]
    [attachment=2:g51b9psb]Electronics 1.JPG[/attachment:g51b9psb]
    [attachment=1:g51b9psb]Electronics 2.JPG[/attachment:g51b9psb]
    [attachment=1:g51b9psb]Electronics 2.JPG[/attachment:g51b9psb]
    [attachment=0:g51b9psb]Electronics 5.JPG[/attachment:g51b9psb]

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, I am officially caught up with transferring from the old site. Now it is time for a few new posts.

The side rails are finished and turned out exactly how I imagined. I probably went a little bit over the top, but they should last forever! I want to have them powder coated one day, but for now I am just painting them black.

[attachment=3:2tndueca]DSC04706.JPG[/attachment:2tndueca]
    [attachment=2:2tndueca]DSC04714.JPG[/attachment:2tndueca]
    [attachment=1:2tndueca]DSC04719.JPG[/attachment:2tndueca]
    [attachment=0:2tndueca]DSC04720.JPG[/attachment:2tndueca]

Post Thanks / Like

I figured out a way to mount the body finally, but I wasn't sure if it would work. Luckily I saw another rig with the same idea as mine so I decide to go for it. Basically I made mounts front and back with a flat section that velcro is attached. This then matches up to the underside of the body. So far it holds up really well. I am also thinking it might offer some protection in a roll over, i.e. the body coming loose instead of breaking.

[attachment=2:3p7ci1i7]DSC04702.JPG[/attachment:3p7ci1i7]
    [attachment=1:3p7ci1i7]DSC04703.JPG[/attachment:3p7ci1i7]
    [attachment=0:3p7ci1i7]DSC04705.JPG[/attachment:3p7ci1i7]

Page 1 of 43 12311 ... LastLast