Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Detours 2.2s the 5:12

Thread: Detours 2.2s the 5:12

i maybe a noob but i have 9 posts detour's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Detours 2.2s the 5:12

After a misaligned hole broke on my first chassis I was inspired to build a second from reading several 5th D suckerpunch builds on rccrawler. So I took a quick look agian and went to drawing and came up with this.

I laid the chassis out on a piece of 21/8in aluminum and drilled all the holes in both pieces before cutting them out.

After both pieces were drilled I bolted them together and went to cutting them out with a 6" cutting wheel.

I cut as much as I could of the inside cut with the 6" cutting wheel and finished it off with a dremel.

After a bit of sanding I ended up with this

Next was the side plates or braces

Mounted to the chassis

After a tough decision on how wide to make the skid I cut it out of UHMW. My first attempt wasn't so nice but I used it to fab links and such to get a running rig.

After beeing fed up with how sloppy the skid was I borrowed a router and a scroll saw to make another one. With this skid I tried a new idea I had inspired by a MOA rig. Where the lowers attached horizontally to the kid. I also recessed the where the motor mounts and cut a channel in the bottom of the skid. The last thing I did was router out the edges to overlap the aluminum chassis.

After I was happy with the skid I had to hit the rocks at the park down the alley at my house.

After the test drive I went to fabbing knuckle weights to tune this rig before the Palmerton comp

I installed some ts01 shocks and a JCCONCEPTS stage killah body.

Showed up to Palmerton with high hopes to prove my rig to myself and was let down by breaking cvd pins and eventually break the axle housing, but when it was crawling it was planted and stable doing work as Winnerone23 would say.
    Doing work

The carnage

Before the comp I decided to buy some xr uni's from troy that were already cut down for my mini. But I hopes to make it to the next comp in less than 2 weeks now I decided to throw them into the ax10 on the short term. And ended up making a new servo/4 link plate for clearance and steering arms.

And thats how the 5:12 sits as of right now.

2. Likes JSLICK liked this post
    Nesquehoning, Pennsylvania, United States
    Post Thanks / Like
    nice work. looks like you are very talented keep up the good work

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mr4x4king View Post
    nice work. looks like you are very talented keep up the good work
    Thanks for the kind words Mr4x4

Post Thanks / Like
    I decided to go a slightly different route than the XR mod with my front axle.

I've picked up some 1/8 Ofna Hyper uni's

An AR60 housing some 1/8 by 4in brass tubing and order some parts from dluxfab
    Parts list ordered
    Modified Bully knuckles
    .225 Bully hubs
    Brass Bully knuckle weights

With these parts and some I have I'll be able to make a hybrid axle ill call an AX60B

Post Thanks / Like
    These are the parts I got frome dluxfab and David.

Rough mockup of the axle

To fab this axle I first cut off the ends os anAr60 housing.
    I then drilled out the housing ends to insert a piece of brass pipe to act as a beef tube
    I then cut off the ends of the ax10 housing and inserted the brass beef tube and drilled and tapped them to hold it all together
    I jad to shave down the new ends so a stock ax10 chub woul slid on
    I set the caster and ended up with this

Heres a closer pic of sll the components

I narrowed some Sedona's

And added some scx10 shocks

This is my steering now

7. Thanks JSLICK thanked for this post
    Likes JSLICK liked this post
    i maybe a noob but i have 9 posts MRCrackhead's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm really excited to see these tires in action.

That just looks wild.

Great job.

Post Thanks / Like

10. Likes JSLICK liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Did a little work today I was having problems with lifting a tire while reversing and turning so to fix this I reversed the motors position. It use to face forward.

I also installed a new axial heavy duty motor mount.

Did a little refinishing on my JCCONCEPTS stage killah body. Some more comp cutting its now 3 and 1/8 tall. While I was at it I painted it and added a Dlux sticker

12. Thanks JSLICK thanked for this post
    Likes rik, JSLICK liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    oh i like this build. home made. the only way to go. +2 pts for you sir. rather, -2 pts for you lol