Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Turbo's axial jk rubicon
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Turbo's axial jk rubicon

Post Thanks / Like

Turbo's axial jk rubicon

I just had to have one too!

I put the Axial SCX10 Jeep JK Unlimited Rubicon in my shopping cart at TCScrawlers.com for the last time! This probably won't be anything revolutionary, but I'm going to do a proper build thread on this bad *** machine anyway

Expect alot of RC4WD & Vanquish Products love for this truck! I'm shootin for a fun, reliable & badass little class 2/G6 Rig with this Jeep.

Gotta love shiny new Axial Box Art!! Brings me back to being a kid again!

Like I said, I had a few key components laying around that I had in mind for this Little Rubicon. So I guess I'll swap a couple steps right off the bat.

First...Awhile back, I actually won a giveaway here on RCC from Rick@SUPERSHAFTY. Until now I havent had a project that I could use this piece of crawler jewelry for.

I swapped out a couple parts on the SuperShafty Bombproof Trans starting with the crazy beef 6mm outputs in favor of a Robinson Racing solid spool (mostly just to keep fitment the same as stock) and I swapped the solid motor plate for a lighter Billet Works Design plate that I recently swapped out of my Shaftsmen comp rig. Alot of swapping going on here :rofl:

Yes it is a gross amount of overkill, but I'm comfortable with that so...

Next...I have had some Vanquish Products OMF Beadlock wheels sitting on the hobby shelf just waiting for another project that keeps getting put on the back burner. They actually work much better for this Jeep than they were going to for my other build, so this is where they will live!

I got them wrapped in Pitbull Rock Beasts

So, here is where I'm at.

Like I said I was going to do, i put the entire rolling chassis together per the directions (cept the trans & wheels). I knew my first order of business was going to be to get rid of all the plastic suspension components that come in the kit in exchange for some Aluminum & Titanium parts.

I had a 4-link axle truss laying in wait for a project to come up. I made it for a JK project a few years ago that never got finished, so it's getting a new life under this Axial JK. In exchange for the stock plastic links, I made some new uppers out of some solid 3/16" dia. 7075 aluminum rod. I used a 10-32 die and made threads and tapped some revo ends with the corresponding tap and installed them on the rear axle. I am probably gonna shorten the rear uppers a tad to get rid of the axle clock, but I'll deal with all that in time.

On to the front. For the front axle I wanted to get a little creative. I wanted to try a 3-link/Panhard set-up cause I've never built on before. I looked around for the ever elusive hand bros mount to no avail and finally just decided to Draw up and cut out my own piece. I used some 6061 1/8" thick aluminum for the panhard/track bar mount. I't a pretty simple design. For the linkage I used 7075 Solid 3/16" dia. rod for the 3rd link and I used some 3/16" dia. .049 wall 6061 tube for the panhard bar. I had to put several bends in the panhard bar for it to clear all the obstacles in its way. I threw a couple Traxxas & Axial rod ends into the pot and WHALAA...front linkage is done!

I modified a TLT-1 stay to use as a top track bar mount. I wanted it to reach out the equal distance away from the frame rail as the bottom mount on the axle, so I brazed a piece onto the angle side of the tlt stay and clearance a hole so i could mount it easily. It came out pretty cool and works perfectly.

I've got a TON of stuff coming for this rig. Good stuff from TCS, Creation Fab & Vanquish Products.

I also need to work out what I'm gonna do for paint....
    TEAM TCS
    TEAM VP
    TEAM HOLMES HOBBIES
    TEAM WHITE LOTUS
    TEAM RC4WD
    TEAM OTTSIX
    GSRCRC 2008 - 2013 2.2 & SUPER CLASS CHAMP!!
    2012 OVERALL NATIONAL CHAMP!

2. Likes JSLICK liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Very nice Jim, great job

Why do I care where Waldo is?

THE MASTER!!

Post Thanks / Like
    It's so shiny!

Wes

Post Thanks / Like
    good thread. i need to start upgrading my sons JK. the plastic links are getting soft. i will be watching this one.
    Wraith RTR ultra 4 style
    Wraith Poision Spyder
    SCX-10 JK rubicon (for the kid)

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, I'm still waiting on a couple key parts for my axle upgrades to begin, but in the mean time I went ahead and installed the Vanquish Products, Chassis Mounted Servo mount along with an old Hitec 5955 that I pulled out of retirement.

The VP mount is as most VP products in that the machining is ridiculous and the quality of metal and design is second to none! One just cannot go wrong with Vanquish parts.

First things first was to get rid of what came stock with the kit. The plastic cross brace and bumper mount are headed to the scrap bin.

The new VP mount just slides right in. Using the hardware supplied with the CMS mount it fits like a glove!

I'm going to try to tuck the bumper in some so the bumper posts will need to be trimmed. All in all, its a nice clean set-up and went together very easily.

TEAM TCS
    TEAM VP
    TEAM HOLMES HOBBIES
    TEAM WHITE LOTUS
    TEAM RC4WD
    TEAM OTTSIX

Post Thanks / Like
    That looks so much easier than spending hours fabbing a custom piece. As usual the fit and finish is spectacular.

Wes

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by brazwewn View Post
    That looks so much easier than spending hours fabbing a custom piece. As usual the fit and finish is spectacular.

Wes
    It was, and I enjoyed every minute that I didn't spend making it
    TEAM TCS
    TEAM VP
    TEAM HOLMES HOBBIES
    TEAM WHITE LOTUS
    TEAM RC4WD
    TEAM OTTSIX

Post Thanks / Like
    I went over Cory's place the other night to get some color on the body for the JK. He sprayed it with adhesion promoter and then Pearl metallic burgundy. I believe it was leftovers from a Honda Accord that he fixed...Whatever the case....its an AWESOME color. It's got a TON of metallic and looks like its a mile deep. As usual...pictures dont do it justice.

TEAM TCS
    TEAM VP
    TEAM HOLMES HOBBIES
    TEAM WHITE LOTUS
    TEAM RC4WD
    TEAM OTTSIX

Post Thanks / Like
    That is a good color!

Wes

Post Thanks / Like
    sweet color. i learned a couple things from your thread.
    Wraith RTR ultra 4 style
    Wraith Poision Spyder
    SCX-10 JK rubicon (for the kid)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast