Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
TPMS Tire Discussion

Thread: TPMS Tire Discussion

Post Thanks / Like

TPMS Tire Discussion

This is mostly geared toward Marc, but I figured others might find it interesting. I have a new car and it has summer only performance tires installed. I think I want to keep this, but need something to get me around in the snow and ice. My thought is to buy 17" rims and a slightly larger sidewall performance snow tire. The problem is I also have TPMS on the car.

First question can extra sensors be purchased easily on the aftermarket? If so, about how much are they each? Do you know any good places to pick up factory rims on the cheap but in good working condition? I dont care about the finish, since I will most likely paint them. Do you have a recommendation for a good winter performance tire?

I got some time to figure this out. I just wanted to work on getting the stuff over the summer and be ready for next winter.

Wes

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by brazwewn View Post
    This is mostly geared toward Marc, but I figured others might find it interesting. I have a new car and it has summer only performance tires installed. I think I want to keep this, but need something to get me around in the snow and ice. My thought is to buy 17" rims and a slightly larger sidewall performance snow tire. The problem is I also have TPMS on the car.

First question can extra sensors be purchased easily on the aftermarket? If so, about how much are they each? Do you know any good places to pick up factory rims on the cheap but in good working condition? I dont care about the finish, since I will most likely paint them. Do you have a recommendation for a good winter performance tire?

I got some time to figure this out. I just wanted to work on getting the stuff over the summer and be ready for next winter.

Wes
    TPMS sensors are available in the aftermarket and OEM replacements, only issue is iv seen them for around 75 bucks a piece...

what size wheels are on your car now? only reason i ask is you must make sure if going to a smaller or bigger wheel your overall Outer Diameter of the tire and wheel combo doesnt change from the factory specs because it can alter your speedometer and abs systems putting a tire thats too tall or too short on your car. I do believe tire rack has a calculator for that exact purpose.

as far as wheels go for winter you have to make sure the wheels you get can support the TPMS system. most wheels that come with the system are casted in a particular way so that the sensor fits snug against the wheel itself when installed.

I run all seasons, but have heard good things on the bridgestone blizzaks do well
    http://www.tirerack.com/winter/bridg...|e|6698817013&

hope that answers what you were looking for.

"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered...I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies... The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs." -Thomas Jefferson
    rikkles - i'm loving this nitro jazz, its's dirty, smelly, and fast. much like marc

Post Thanks / Like
    I have 235 40 18 tires with 8" rims and 55mm offset. The closest I can find are 215 50 17 tires with 7.5" rims and 45mm offset. If I did it correctly, the TPMS sensors are around $175. Do I need to sync them up once the new tires are mounted on the car?

Wes

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by brazwewn View Post
    I have 235 40 18 tires with 8" rims and 55mm offset. The closest I can find are 215 50 17 tires with 7.5" rims and 45mm offset. If I did it correctly, the TPMS sensors are around $175. Do I need to sync them up once the new tires are mounted on the car?

Wes
    yes they will need to be programmed to your monitoring system by a technician.

"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered...I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies... The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs." -Thomas Jefferson
    rikkles - i'm loving this nitro jazz, its's dirty, smelly, and fast. much like marc

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks a bunch for the help. It looks like it will run me around $425 for wheels, $175 TPMS, $650 tires and $25 service. Guessing on the service, but I am guessing it won't be much. My mechanic is pretty good, so they am just do it for nothing, who knows. So, $1200 so I done slide around in the snow, ouch.

Wes