Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

My Wraunchy Honcho Build
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My Wraunchy Honcho Build

Post Thanks / Like

My Wraunchy Honcho Build

I guess I will start by saying I have never done an "actual" build. Both rigs I have now I have done work to, but they were together when I received them. So this should get interesting. In the words of a wise man they are "not builds.............they are assemblies". This project will be pieced together from various different sources. It will be a strictly trail/G6 machine when done so that's why I decided to put it in the Class 3 thread. I have some things that are going to be done set in stone, but still some things I haven't quited decided on yet. The basics are AR60's under an SCX10 chassis with some brushless power. Parts and pieces have started showing up so I'll get started with what I have already.

Rik was kind enough to hook me up with his old Honcho body and cage which has been my original idea of what I wanted for a while now. Although I most likely will not use the cab that came with it as I want to paint another one, I will be using the cage and the light buckets out of the cab. Here is what Rik sent me last week.

That just got things rolling in my head and the vision I've been going over day after day included some Gearhead CAC 1.9 Trail Kings. I was back and forth between them and VP OMF 1.9's and finally decided on the Gearhead. While the VP wheels are a simple four screw beadlock easy mount design, the Trail Kings are an easy mount design as well and go together very easy. They are a three piece design consisting of a Delrin wheel and two aluminum beadlock rings. The offset can be changed simply by mounting the hub on the oppostie side of the wheel.

I wanted to stay with a 1.9 wheel and a taller tire so I opted to go with RC4WD Iroks in the X2 SS compound. I was at first a bit bummed since I just sold a set of Iroks before I decided to pull the trigger on this project, but it worked out well. After unpacking one of the Iroks today, I quickly realized that the set I previously had were the old compound. The X2 compound is super sticky so it worked out good.

I didn't want to vent the new wheels and wanted a nice clean hole in the tire, so I dug out some old servo pieces I had. The extra crap that comes with a new servo. I saved them for some reason and glad I did.

They make a nice little hole punch that works well with this soft tire. I just wrapped the tire around a rubber mallet that was held in a vise and tapped them through.

And here are the tires mounted up on the wheels.

That is far as I got today as I am waiting for more parts and what not to come in the mail. I post more updates as soon as I make some progress.
    2.2P-XR10 YTC Secret Agent
    2.2S-Turbotech Prodigy
    Class 2-SCX10

2. Likes rik liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good start

Why do I care where Waldo is?

THE MASTER!!

Post Thanks / Like
    definitely a good start. keep us posted.

Post Thanks / Like
    very nice wheel and tire combo, i dig.

"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered...I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies... The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs." -Thomas Jefferson
    rikkles - i'm loving this nitro jazz, its's dirty, smelly, and fast. much like marc

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for taking a minute to check things out guys. I've got some things on the way now. Hoping to start in on the chassis this week.
    2.2S-Turbotech Prodigy
    Class 2-SCX10

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok so while I'm waiting for things to show up, I figured I would start with something I do have here. The rear cage. I stopped at Fastenal and picked up some 1/4" collars (which by the way, the kid working said they didn't have). My first step was to make the hole just a hair larger to fit over the rod of the cage. Then taking a piece of 1/4" aluminum rod to align two collars on I took some off the side opposite the set screw.

I then laid out a rough template on a piece of 22g sheet metal.

Got it cut out, cleaned up, and clamped together for brazing. It's not quite finished yet because I have to get some square stock for re inforcing and what not, but this is where I'm at with it as of now.

Now it's just a matter of deciding what size and shape of light bucket I'm gonna mount.
    2.2S-Turbotech Prodigy
    Class 2-SCX10

8. Likes Quirk, rik liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    good idea. Nothing better than to re-purpose an item for a crawler.

Wes

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok so I got a couple of things in today for the build. The chassis should be here tomorrow then I can start mocking everything up. Man these things are sweet!

2.2S-Turbotech Prodigy
    Class 2-SCX10

Post Thanks / Like
    sweet. i cant wait to see this done. its gonna be an awesome rig. have you decided on light buckets yet?

Post Thanks / Like
    Think I am just going to go with the large Axial buckets like in the above pic. I have a couple here already so it won't be hard to pick a few up.
    2.2S-Turbotech Prodigy
    Class 2-SCX10

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast