Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

My mini mantis build...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My mini mantis build...

Post Thanks / Like

My mini mantis build...

I have been building this for a couple months an wanted to post a build here.. I figured it a good place since Epa is the Only club with a mini mantis an now it has 2...

White Delrin Bwd mini mantis chassis
    Bwd white 1.9 mod locks .5" wide (wrapped in rovers)
    Bwd bombproof rear link mount.. (no shock)

Pro axles, pro tranny, metal lockers.. pretty simple.. mip drive shafts
    Rear axle is stock.. has half a .300 Dlux ring attached to the Bwd link mount
    Front axle, for now, lcc modded chubs, knuckles, cvd's, Dlux knuckle weights, wideners, and beef tubes.
    Tranny has a Bwd motor plate

running it is a HH 33t mini torquemaster, for now.. custom 27t handwound motorman1600 motor waiting for wiring..
    Cc Bec powering a 7950
    Tekin fx-r
    Spektrum 3100 rx

It's running 2lbs 8oz rtr as it sits with a nano tech 300mah 2s 65-130c

On with it..

It came in a little short.. around 7" wheel base, I believe..

Above was all the first night.. now its ready for some skins.. this is where my start came from

Post Thanks / Like
    Was a little worried I would loose the last post cause of length.. moving right along tho..

Hood an roof done, servo guard done..

Then the Bwd link mounts showed up.. in the rear I flipped the rear links end for end, I cut the rear axle posts shorter to get the rear of the chassis sitting lower.

I put spacers in the front lower links to get wheel base out to 8.25"..

I also went with a RcBros servo/4 link plate to get length with the upper links..

It can flex a little or a lot!

Electronics choices choices choices.. cc Bec, novak Bec, 3100, 300, an the decased fx-r..

I went with the cc bec to keep my skins looking the same on both sides, the 3100 rx on the upper links, fx-r behind the tranny..

Everything in an as neat as I could with the vast amount of space in these rigs.. lol

With the battery in an sitting on top of the bec, rtr..

Post Thanks / Like
    Better not hold out on the crawling pics..

A little comparison shot of the 4.25" rovers on the mini juice with motoWorx wheels to the .5" wide mod locks with shaved 1.9 rovers

Then I broke a mip cvd so I swapped in the lcc front axle an got the ota setup done..

Next is this little beauty..

I cut the vp xr knuckle weights to use on the vp wraith knuckles for it.. an drilled for a set screw..

The screw is for visual.. will be replaced with a set screw..

Sitting just shy of 8" as is.. with venom wide hex.. with more work to come.

MMmmmmm steering!

Almost missed this.. 12t ud incase the steering mod does cut it...lol

Ok, ur all caught up now.. for the most part

4. Likes rik liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, this is sweet! How about some more pics of the front axle. Did you make that yourself.

Wes

Post Thanks / Like
    Noice!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys.. I can do more pics of the front axle.. I'm getting ready to cut the xr universals for it an get it running.. its part mounted to the mini mantis now..

Yeah, "made" it or better modded it... I took a rear xr axle housing an cut the ends off.. dremeled the mrc housing smooth an drilled the xr housing inners out, 10mm I think or close to it, the snapped it together.. I have pics an will get them posted when I find them.. then ill add the pics of what I'm doin now..

Post Thanks / Like
    Time for more pics!
    Let's start with shocks.. I had the pro shocks limited internally 11mm an still long but worked great! Anywho.. I picked up a mini-t an xTm rage lot for a friend an it came with a surprise set of aluminum late model mini-t rear shocks.. well they became donors.. didn't want to not use my red springs or white cups so......

So I cut the pro bodies an used the mini-t shafts.. I was a little anal with the bodies.. lol

The outcome was well worth the little extra time to get them dremeled to the same size..

Exploded view of the axles..

Found a issue with the bearing stating in place, so I just figured a spacer would cut it..

Well, I couldn't handle Just a spacer... So I decided on CF beef tubes.

With the added axle casing an angles, my uppers where too short, so new ones went on.

This is 7.5" wide axle..

The CW arm is like a bump stop at this point, notice the tire to link space..

Break it up with some flex shots.. on my 4.25" rovers.

Now on to flipping the wheels for a 8"front track width an wheel wideners on for a 7.25" rear.

Now there's some more room for more steering! Just need to put the steering arm out front.

Not even maxxed out........

One for show.. yep, the universals spin this way.. after a little work on the ears.

Let's do some Crawlering!
    Team Holmes Hobbies
    Team BmachineRC
    Team Krazed Builds
    Team PURPMART

Post Thanks / Like
    Almost time.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Works great! Talk bout reaching out to grab a ledge or getting high centered an bein able to turn the wheels an get right over it!
    Took some measurements.. before was 32-33" turning radius. Now, 27.75" .. ill take a 4-5" gain for the mod.. The rear does push the front a little.. so clocking the chubs past factory by one notch is coming.. if that doesn't cut it, ill take the rear axle apart for a new pinion, ud 12t...

However.. I'm not a big fan of the 8" track width.. so I'm goin to flip the wheels in an get back to 7.5" up front an see how that feels..
    Last case, take 1/8" off both sides an hit the middle at 7.75".. I also don't have any knuckle weight on, so that could be adding to the way it feels..

Looking for Dlux xr weights for my vp weights don't fit with these wheels.
    Last edited by Winnerone23; 02-01-2013 at 10:12 PM.
    Team Holmes Hobbies
    Team BmachineRC
    Team Krazed Builds
    Team PURPMART

Post Thanks / Like
    Little update..

Had a little snag on knuckle weights.. vp wouldn't fit the 1.9 wheels.. my Dlux weights are on my xr.. well I just picked up a ax for use as a sporty.. long live the creeper, on the shelf... Anyways, it came with blue monkey wraith knuckle weights..
    After realizing the down falls , bad fitment an design, I drilled an tapped new holes for the set screws to tighten down above the round of the knuckle.. I also dremeled some so they would slide on the knuckle further, since they are the same OD as vp..

There isn't much clearance an the pic makes it look like there is more then there really is.

All mounted an time for some rocks.

A quick weigh in before crawling..

Just a touch over 2lbs 8ozs even! Like .0385oz over..

And the rocks..

The weights made this rig a thing of beauty, its crawling amazing on making everything I point it at. Even some crawls twisted in half, its pretty crazy to watch an crawl with.. only changes maybe scx hex instead of the creeper hex. That will give me a couple mm's on each side.. front track width is 7 15/16" or closer to 8". Don't want to get to a comp an have to do it at check in.
    Team Holmes Hobbies
    Team BmachineRC
    Team Krazed Builds
    Team PURPMART

12. Likes JSLICK liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast