Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Shock cap mod!

Thread: Shock cap mod!

Post Thanks / Like

Shock cap mod!

So I did a set of LCC shocks back when I had my LCC and I never really took the time to take pics and what not of the process. I happened to score a sexy set of red LCC shock bodies from Winnerone23 and decided I would do the cap mod to a pair for on the Mantis. It's basically pretty simple but keep in mind once you start there is no turning back. So if you don't feel comfortable cutting up some shock bodies, don't try this at home. Or do and blame the dog if you mess up.

With that said I'll get on with it. Basically all that is needed is a cutoff wheel of some sort, some Teflon tape, thread lock, 3mm tap, one 3mmX10 countersink screw per shock body, and of course shock ends and everything to build the shock.

So I start with a stock Losi shock body commonly found on the LCC.

Now here comes the tricky part. Like stated if you don't feel comfortable doing this to a brand new (or used) shock body, then I don't suggest you try this. Place the shock body in a vise or whatever you have to keep it secure. Take your cutoff wheel and cutoff the upper shock mount so that it's flush with the top of the shock body. It will look like this.

Now the next step will be to drill and tap the top of the shock body to accept a 3mmX10 countersink screw. Just be sure to get it as centered as possible because it's irreversible. After drilling and tapping it's important to get all the metal flakes out of the inside of the shock body. I didn't have any aerosol left so I used a foam swab type thing I had.

Now the the tricky parts are done with, it's just a matter of assembly. I found that using Teflon tape on the screw with a little bit of thread lock ensures a nice snug fit without any leaking. Now the really cool thing is if you take notice to the inside of the shock body at this point, it already has a bit of a countersink in the inside. It makes for a nice flusher fit of the screw.

Be sure to install the shock end before fully assembling the shocks. This way you use your hex driver to keep the screw snug at the same time ensuring a nice tight fit of the shock end.

That is basically the most difficult part of this process. Now it's just a matter of putting the shocks back together with springs and oil of your liking.

Here is the finished product next to a shock without the mod.

I hope everyone enjoys this post and if anyone has any questions feel free to shoot me a line.

2. Thanks freak, active, rik thanked for this post
    Likes freak, DIRTY, rik liked this post
    Dislikes rik disliked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    A+ awesome mod i did it my self to a set of shocks. thanks for taking the time to photograph a step by step

Home of The Proving Grounds R/C Crawling Area, Team Shake & Bake, Team Notch Eight Designz

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by active View Post
    A+ awesome mod i did it my self to a set of shocks. thanks for taking the time to photograph a step by step
    No problem. Here they are mounted.

Post Thanks / Like
    The mod looks good. I recently went back to running mine right side up. They are so much smoother that way. I have SCX10 shocks, so not sure if it would be the same for you.

Wes

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by brazwewn View Post
    The mod looks good. I recently went back to running mine right side up. They are so much smoother that way. I have SCX10 shocks, so not sure if it would be the same for you.

Wes
    When I first got the XR I was running my original inverted Losi shocks. Then I picked up the red ones and ran them a few times upright and I just couldn't get the feel for them. It's insane how much of a difference it makes. They just didn't wanna agree with me upright. Plus now I have less tire rub.