Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Class 1 Scout (Another aluminum body!) - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Class 1 Scout (Another aluminum body!)

Post Thanks / Like
    That is sweet! All I can picture is a few months from now with the dents and dings. Makes me think of a guy I used to wheel with and his 1:1 jeep. Every time he banged it up he would use a sharpie and date the damage and label it with the location/trail name it happened on. It was like a road map of places to wheel. With an all metal body it will show the damage more and be more realistic. Great work!
    Losi Micro, SCX-10 JK, EXO
    Jim Thorpe, PA
    ...someone tell my wife I'm not crazy...

Post Thanks / Like
    very very cool

Post Thanks / Like
    Like everyone else has said, this is a very impressive build! I am new to the scale RC world and this has been a really great thread to read/watch! great work

i maybe a noob but i have 9 posts muddslinger's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    what an awesome biuld!your craftsman ship in metal forming is incredible man nice job

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by lojim View Post
    That is sweet! All I can picture is a few months from now with the dents and dings. Makes me think of a guy I used to wheel with and his 1:1 jeep. Every time he banged it up he would use a sharpie and date the damage and label it with the location/trail name it happened on. It was like a road map of places to wheel. With an all metal body it will show the damage more and be more realistic. Great work!
    Thanks! I did that on my 1:1 before. I might do that with this just for fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
    very very cool
    Quote Originally Posted by dan188 View Post
    Like everyone else has said, this is a very impressive build! I am new to the scale RC world and this has been a really great thread to read/watch! great work
    Quote Originally Posted by muddslinger View Post
    what an awesome biuld!your craftsman ship in metal forming is incredible man nice job
    Thanks guys. I hope i can be so inspiration.

Well, I've already rebuilt this thing! :lmao: ok, let me go back a bit. The tire situation was driving me nuts. I hated how the mud slingers looked on the truck, but the i did like the size. A while back i ordered a couple sets of wheels and tires off of RC4WD, but when i tested them i had more problems.

First this is the current tire and wheel

I originally wanted a stock look so I got a set of landy steel wheels and MTZ tires

The back spacing made them stick out too far with the axial axles

I also got a set of 1.55 Steel wagon wheels and mud thrashers

I loved the size and look but again they stuck out too far which not only looked bad but also made them illegal for comps.

I debated it for a while but at this point i was out of finds for more wheels and tires which didn't really matter as i couldn't find anything that i felt would solve the problem. So even though i said i didn't want to change to much to the original car i decided i had no choice but to switch to TLT axles.

I already had an extra set but they had some missing parts so i stole the ones out of my Class 2 Toyota for now. Then i threw the mud thrashers on the TLT axle to check the width against the Axial with the slingers.

Just as i thought, they were almost exactly the same width assembled

under the truck they look pretty good

Then i tried the Landies.

They were a bit narrower but under the truck they just didn't look right

Now if i could get them to fit like this:

I will use them on something but not this. Maybe i'll build another with leafs and MRC axles;-)

Anyways with the axles decided on it was time to make the necessary changes to make them work but first some mods.

I saw that RC4WD had there alloy TLT cases on sale so i grabbed one of each style.

Of course I already started hacking them up by getting rid of the upper mounts

I decided to use the trussed one on this so i hacked the mounts of that one as well

Then i Took the upper link mount of the old axle and tested the fit

Everything matched up so i swapped all the guts over

then when i went to put the lower mounts on there was a problem.

No big deal. I just needed to make my own

Using some scrap sheet metal i hammered it over 3 pieces of plate steel

Then i cut it to shape

And mounted them up

I threw the truck back on the table. I thought these were pretty cool pics

</thats>Next i mounted them to the truck.

<thats not="" an="" exclamation...="" im="" just="" trying="" to="" address="" you="" lol...="" what="" is="" it="" going="" have="" a="" scale="" split="" diff="" and="" running="" slant="" 4="" aswell??="" my="" buddy="" has="" 67="" scout="" that="" been="" sitting="" for="" 3="" years="" at="" least="" we="" went="" start="" the="" first="" week="" of="" december..="" saw="" spark="" plug="" wire="" was="" missing="" decided="" try="" anyway...="" fired="" up="" in="" seconds...="" these="" things="" are="" champs!

</thats>The shocks fit perfectly on the outside mounting holes. they hang a little low but being so close to the tires i think they shouldn't get to hung up.

And here it looks in it's final spot fully compressed

Now for the front. the original owner of the chassis had installed a Hands Bros 3 link and since the axle truss wouldn't work on the TLT axle i had to fab a new one.

I began with some card paper for a template

then i cut it out of plate and test fit the truss

then a tab was made for the upper link

brazed it up

and mounted it to the axle.

Slapped her under the truck and it was once again rolling on it's own but now with new shoes

i'm really happy with the look and the clearance is good too.

at full tuck the tires just touch the fenders

That's it for now. I hope to get the vids up soon of it running

Post Thanks / Like
    A little behind on this but here is an update

Here is a little update.

When i Finished the axle swap a few weeks ago i took the truck for a test run. well the wheels and axles worked good and i ended up with the scars to prove it.

Then, while walking down the stairs to my hobby shop I wasn't paying attention and smacked the front fender off the wall! :x

No big deal, A little shaping and it was as good as new"thumbsup"

Well fast forward to today and it was pretty nice out (it actually got above freezing:roll so i had a chance to take it for another spin and got some outside shots as well.

and of course i have some more scars to add to the collection

I'm liking this truck the more i drive it. The rear axle is an anchor but it still wheels good for class 1.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well it's been a while but i have a little more progress on this.

I media blasted the axle, truss and link mounts, painted them and installed some stainless steel strait axles.

Then slapped it in place for good.

then did the same for the front truss but kept the internals stock

then i made up a knock-off for the spare

Next i needed a battery mount. I thought about making a storage box from scratch but once i looked at the spare Tractor Supply box i couldn't deny the quick and easy installation.

To start i needed a hole for the wires. This is a nice trick for anyone using these boxes.

I take a utility knife and cut an X the size of the plug

Then fold the tabs over and tap them flat. makes for a clean edge that is not sharp

Then a couple of bolts later...

Finally i turned my attention to the interior. I thought about it for a bit and since the idea of the build is low budget orientated i decided to go with a stock looking bench seat. Something like this

I started with some foam to get an idea of the size and shape.

then i grabbed some 1/8" round stock and bent the frame for the seat

then i added s cross bar and some tabs for the plastic sheet to support the foam.

Another test fit

next i folded up some aluminum for the seat mounts.

More test fitting

That's it for now

Post Thanks / Like
    man i wish i could do this stuff. thing looks awesome.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234