Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Class 1 Scout (Another aluminum body!) - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Class 1 Scout (Another aluminum body!)

Post Thanks / Like
    More progress

Once I was happy with the cage and body interior I finished all the brazing, blasted and painted the metal parts

Next I installed them for the last time

And threw the cage and body on to see how it all looked

Now it was time to take care of the windshield frame. Using the mock-up for size I made a new mold to provide the final shape

This mold allows me to make 2 halves like the real one. Here they are mocked in place

You can see how they fit inside each other and where the come together in the middle provides a place to glue the “glass”

After i glued it up i did a quick test fit to make sure it all works

Now it was time for the doors. I had already made the outer skins and thought about just gluing them to the sides but since this will be an open top I couldn’t make myself do it and I wanted to test door latches similar to the ones on my Toyota scaler so I needed to make inner door skins. The process is the same as what i used for my Toyota scaler but I'll go through it again.

Before I started the inner molds I needed molds of the outside of the doors in order to have something to place the skins on to crimp the edges.
    That started as some skins with card paper for sides

I then poured the resin right in the mold, popped them apart and cleaned them up

Now to make the inner panels I used the molds I just made and added clay to form the edges and used styrene to make the details (sorry i forgot to take a pic) Then it was latex rubber and resin for the final product

I needed to make some small adjustments which was the top of the door where the window would be. the modified mold is on the left

Then a test piece

And finally crimped to a spare skin to make sure it all goes together right.

A test fit in the truck and all is good.

And one last thing, i added supports to the inside on the front clip.

And prepared it to be installed

Whew! that's enough for tonight.

2. Likes rik liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    as always, your work is very impressive blake. awesome!

Post Thanks / Like
    Its amazing that there is so much cool detail work that is buried in the structure. It is hard to comprehend all the work unless you have followed the build. Very nice job Blake.

Wes

Post Thanks / Like
    This is more of a work of art than a rig to throw on the rocks. You are an artist and you medium is metal. Simply amazing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rik View Post
    as always, your work is very impressive blake. awesome!
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by brazwewn View Post
    Its amazing that there is so much cool detail work that is buried in the structure. It is hard to comprehend all the work unless you have followed the build. Very nice job Blake.

Wes
    That's good to hear. It's sometimes hard to translate what i do in pics

Quote Originally Posted by SimJunkie View Post
    This is more of a work of art than a rig to throw on the rocks. You are an artist and you medium is metal. Simply amazing.
    May be but it's still going to get bashed!

More old progress

With the doors complete the next step was to make them open. After searching for some time, and not finding a hinge that suited the size and function I was looking for, I decided to make my own.

I started with a piece of 1/8” aluminum stock and using a crappy end mill bit (in an equally crappy X-Y vice mounted in a drill press) I milled the center down to half the thickness.

Then trimmed it down

And rounded the thicker side

Then I cut them the width I wanted

Next the rounded end was cut to make the right and left hands of the hinges

They were then filed down for a close fit and flipped

Next was drilling for the pin

It opens nice

My index finger gives some reference of size

A wire was peened in place to finish the hinge.

Lastly I drilled and counter sunk holes for the 2mm screws

To attach them to the door I drilled and tapped some scrap aluminum

Then glued them to the inner door skin

And the inside of the door frame behind the front fender

Now the hinges were attached to the door

And screwed to the door frame.

Next I made a latch using some brass and a pen spring

To capture the pin on the door frame I punched a hole and inserted a brass sleeve

With the latch installed on the door skin the door is now fully functional

The last thing to do was to crimp the door skin in place

Now for the hood I was able to use model airplane hinges trimmed down a bit.

Then I glued the window frame in place checking the cage for fit

Unfortunately when I did this I failed to check the fit of the inner door skins when making the molds and the cage won’t allow the doors to go shut.

Well since this is just a beater the only logical solution was clearance the doors with a little persuasion"thumbsup"

That's all for now.

7. Likes Kero5hin liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    WHAT!?!?! This thing is crazy. Amazing work and detail. I cant get over the little door locks and that you said "May be but it's still going to get bashed!"

Nate79
    I wish I had the skill and patience to build something so well thought out. What color are you gonna paint it?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kero5hin View Post
    WHAT!?!?! This thing is crazy. Amazing work and detail. I cant get over the little door locks and that you said "May be but it's still going to get bashed!"
    Thanks! Just wait until you see the hood latch! An oh yah, it will get bashed!

Quote Originally Posted by Nate79 View Post
    I wish I had the skill and patience to build something so well thought out. What color are you gonna paint it?
    You never know unless you try! You'll just have to wait for the paint.

With the doors working good I t was time to address the latching mechanism for the hood. I didn’t want to just use pins and I also wanted to use this truck as a test to see how practical and durable a latch system would be so I began by making a plate to hold the latch

And positioned it between the radiator support and the grill

Then I made a test hook to check for fit.

And added it to the latch mount

After some testing I realized the mount was too high so I move it under the grill with a spacer

Next came the latch box for the hood. A simple box was bent

Then I made the hood popper using a pen spring and 2MM hardware

I then added some thicker aluminum to the inside of the box and drilled and tapped a hole for the popper as well as a slot for the latch

Here it is together. The pin for the latch is on the inside

When I made the latch the first time I forgot to leave a tab for the return spring. So I made a new one

I added it to the mount with a spring I kept from the set of cellphone seats used in my Class 2 Toyota

Now to pull the latch down I made a plate with a piece of tubing to run a pull string through.

Pinned them together

And tested it

Finally I installed it on the truck

And glued the box to the hood

It closes nice and tight. I’ll make a vid of how it works later

Lastly I needed a radiator support mount so I bent up some brass

Mounted to the chassis

Bent up a body mount

And glued it in place

The body mounts marked the last thing needed on the body so up next is paint!

Post Thanks / Like
    im sitting here laughing but in a good way it is unreal the detail your putting into it amazing dont stop i love it...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
    im sitting here laughing but in a good way it is unreal the detail your putting into it amazing dont stop i love it...
    Thanks! i always feel good when i can put a smile on someones face.

I guess it's time to reveal the color. Since the idea was to have a truck that was only slightly modified with a cage and lift, and most of the trucks i've built have had flashy paint jobs, i figured it deserved something a bit more subdued and after browsing the local wallyworld, i came upon a Rust-oleum color simply called "sand" I think it fits perfectly!

After the top coat set-up the bottom looked to nice so i spritzed the bottom and inside the hood with black to give it an oily undercoat look

Then i threw the body on the chassis to see how it looks

I was really happy with it so i made it permanent and added the electronics.

the ESC went in the back of the cargo area and eventually will be covered by a fuel cell.

The battery will go in a storage box behind the front seat. I cut a hole for the wires

then it was the wiring for the lights. I won a 3Racing lite kit over the summer and figured this would be the best use for it. I tucked it under the hood

then ran the wires down the chassis

and under the cargo area

for the tail lights i used the lenses from the High-lift light bar. Of course i cast them in breakable plastic."thumbsup"

Then for the headlights i formed a light bucket from the back half of a blackfoot spot light

Next i glued it to the back of the grill

And added a lens from a Toyota Hilux body.

You might have noticed the turn signals were just stuck in the grill. I couldn't keep it like that so i looked in my pile of stuff and noticed that the turn signal lenses from the front bumper of the Hilux body fit perfectly so i cut the grill to fit the lens

then i needed a light bucket so i made a mold out of styrene

and formed a bucket

The LED fits nice

then glued it in.

Finally it was time for a windshield. I always keep the blister packs from my kids toys as they are the right thickness for this.

I simply cut it to size

And glued it in using some electrical tape around the edge to look like a gasket.

Then i took it out side for a test run and some pics.

Finally the thread is up to date. I still have some details to add but at least i can drive it.

13. Likes lojim liked this post
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast