Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Class 1 Scout (Another aluminum body!) - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Class 1 Scout (Another aluminum body!)

Nesquehoning, Pennsylvania, United States
    Post Thanks / Like
    all I can say is wow and amazing

you have talent and patience

keep up the good work

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks!

I am really a lot further along on this then i have shown but with other projects i'm working on right now i haven't had time to post any updates, I have a little time so here is a bit more.

With the bed situated it was time to move to the cab area, I took the rocker panels that I cut from the original molds and added them to some styrene to make them easier to mold and also give the proper surface for the door jam

Next was the inside panel that boxes the whole thing in and gives a surface to mount the floor to

Here is how it fits to the rocker

Then I needed the panel that fills the gap between the bed and the cab floor so I whipped up a quick mold and made a test piece.

A quick test fit of the panels

Even with something this simple there are a lot of small filler panels that are needed to tie the structure together. One is just behind the door opening. Because the inner fenders roll up under the quarters, I need to transition from the door opening to that panel.

A couple of quick bends and I have the part I need and In place it works perfectly.

Now I need the inner panel for the quarters. This panel on the real truck serves as part of the boxes that hold the gas tanks located under the inner fenders. I’m not putting gas tanks in my truck but I am making the box like the real one to make it that much stronger.

More test fitting

Before I made the filler panels permanent I started on the floor.

For the floors I decided to make them similar to the real ones for now knowing they will get cut up to clear the drivetrain, but I need to start somewhere.

I made a simple mold once again.

And formed two mirrored parts.

Then positioned them with the rockers and filler panels clamped in place and marked to clear the drive train.

A few cuts later and I had the body on the chassis for the first time.

The fit is good so I glued the rockers and filler panels in place

Next I needed a piece to cap off the inner fenders

Then I glued the cap panels, floor and transition panel in place

That's it for now. I'll post more as i get time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well after a weekend of getting ready for the impending storm, I figured i would take some time to update the thread a little more with old progress.

With the floor in place, now came the hard part.

The inner structure of these trucks is very basic. Like the back it’s mostly flat panels with strait brakes. You can see that in this pic of my old truck.

The complicated part is getting the size and shape of the parts correct to fit the panels I have already created.

I started with the main inner fender support that the fender attaches to and what the firewall will tie into

Since it only had one brake I didn’t need a mold just a template and after some trial and error I had the shape and size I was looking for

Happy, I moved on to the inner fender. Again it was just some simple bends on flat sheet

Oh and in case you were wondering how I make long strait bends, I use an old sheet metal brake I found at a local antique shop. Works great!

Once they were formed I glued them to the main inner support

Then I glued the grill to the front fenders

The real one is bolted together but I didn’t feel like messing with little nuts and screws

When the glue dried I clamped them together to see how it all fit up

Now to support the windshield and dash I freehand bent a channel to make up the top of the cowl

And test the fit

More flat panels are needed behind the inner fenders to make up the firewall. Again I free handed the panels

And mocked everything into place

Happy with the result, I made the firewall permanent but did not attach the outer fenders as I have more work to do up front

Here is how it looks overall with the front in place sitting on the chassis

That's good for now. next will be some tube work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome metal work, it looks great

Why do I care where Waldo is?

THE MASTER!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Let me know when you want to build me a 2012 Dodge Ram. Such amazing work my friend. True art!
    ~ Ryan
    The webmaster.
    * Tried that Jeep thing, and now it burns when I pee. *
    ----------
    Support the website!
    I have an online reality show about RC's and the life around it.

Follow my addiction: http://rcaddict.us

If this post has helped you then click the reputation button below.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Quirk View Post
    Awesome metal work, it looks great
    Thanks man!

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Soldier View Post
    Let me know when you want to build me a 2012 Dodge Ram. Such amazing work my friend. True art!
    Find me a hard body to copy and i can hook you up!

Here is some more old progress, This thread is still not up to date with the actual progress on the truck.

I wanted to start work on the cage and because it will have no top and I want it to fit in class 1, I need a wind shield.

A simple piece of 1\8” PVC sheet provided the basic shape

It doesn’t look too bad in place. I’ll refine it later

I wanted the cage to be simple and light. So I started with a rear hoop.

Then the front

Next came the top bars with a light kink at either end and down bars to the rear of the tub

With the cage to my liking and tacked up I decided to tackle the front shock hoops. The kit plastic hoops were not going to cut it with the inner fenders so I decided to make up some all-pro style hoops.

The process starts with bent tubing

Then lower mounts were added

Next comes shock tabs

Then using cardboard as a template, I made the chassis mount and tacked it to the hoop

Then tacked the shock tabs on

Then added the shock tabs

Here they are in place

For the rear I wanted to eliminate the hoops all together to keep the floor in tact to I did a low budget shock relocation and simply drilled holes in the cross member and mounted the lower shock mount into the holes holding the axle ends on

I know this isn’t the best way to do it but it will work for now until I make something more permanent

Next will be the body mounts.

Post Thanks / Like
    More old progress.

I forgot to post these pics but once i had the shock mounts done i threw it all together to see how it looked.

Then i casually set the hood on the cage to do something and suddenly realized what my next project is going to be!

Baja 1000 anyone?

Anyways, with the body and cage mostly complete, it was time to turn my attention again to the chassis. I want to mount the body to the chassis similar to the real truck but my cage needs to tie into the chassis as well. So my plan is to exaggerate the mounts a little to reach where the cage hits the floor.

To begin I needed a plate to attach the mount to, again I’m trying to avoid modification of the chassis, and started with another card paper template.

Then I made the mounts

And attached one to the front plate and the other I attached it directly to the T-case mount I already had in place.

With the mounts complete I punched holes in the tub, drilled and tapped the body mounts and test fit the body again

Then I added tabs to the bottom of the cage legs as well as some cross bars to make it class legal.

And checked the fit

Here is a shot without the body so you can see how it mounts to the frame.

Next came the front bumper. I’m trying to keep this mostly stock looking so I went with the simple C channel style but the square stock I used for the body mounts was way heavy and overkill for this truck so I made my own using scrap sheet metal from a fender off my 1:1 4-runner

I created the mounts first using some scrap metal and designed them to slide into the frame rails

Then for the bumper I started with a flat piece and bent the sides on a small brake then tacked the mounts to it

Here it is all mounted up

The rear bumper is a copy of the front except the mounts double as the mount for the rear of the cage

Here is how they tie together

Then it was more bending and the bumper was tacked in place

Fits good with the body

The final part for the cage was the spare tire. I began with a strait bar

Then made a mount using tubing and a 3MM bolt

I like how it looks mounted up

And while the truck was together I had to get some flex shots.

The rear tire tucks nicely at full stuff.

That's it for now

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like you are getting close. Can't wait to see this one out on the rocks.

Wes

Post Thanks / Like
    i love this build!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by brazwewn View Post
    Looks like you are getting close. Can't wait to see this one out on the rocks.

Wes
    It's actually a lot further along then what i have shown here. It's almost in paint now. I'm behind in updating this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
    i love this build!
    Thanks!

With the chassis squared away it was time to finish the tub.

I started with the radiatior support. The 1:1 has the support running down to the frame between the inner fenders but with the servo and eventually the ESC taking up the space i ended up abbreviating it and only making the top. Out came the plastic and a mold was made

Then test fitted

Happy i glued it in

Before i could finish up the engine compartment i needed to work on the center of the firewall. Starting with the drivers side i free handed a panel

Then came a mirror image on the passenger side with a small cutout to clear the trans

Next was the top that doubles as the center of the firewall

With the firewall filled in i could add the last panels for the inner fenders with some hand bent pieces

Then glued them in

Now came the tranny tunnel

That started with side covers for the T-case

then the center

Then the transition from the firewall to the tunnel. I made it one piece which was difficult to get the bends right.

Finally the top panels were put in place

It doesn't look like the real truck but i had to cover it the best i could and the tub was finally whole.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast