Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Subarua Brat Build
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Subarua Brat Build

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Subarua Brat Build

This will be my build thread vi am still getting parts together.

Sent using Tapatalk on my Sprint Evo

This is a mockup of how i'd like it to sit.
    uploadfromtaptalk1329594994807.jpg

With mrc axles, the wheels tuck under nicely.
    uploadfromtaptalk1329594962239.jpg

Just a smidge of tire sticking out. Just what I want.
    uploadfromtaptalk1329594926842.jpg
    Last edited by Tin Soldier; 02-18-2012 at 08:01 PM.
    ~ Ryan
    The webmaster.
    * Tried that Jeep thing, and now it burns when I pee. *
    ----------
    Support the website!
    I have an online reality show about RC's and the life around it.

Follow my addiction: http://rcaddict.us

If this post has helped you then click the reputation button below.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Here are some pix of some of the 1:1 Subes I have owned. I had a thing for Loyale wagons and then I would throw a 3" Ozzy body lift on them and stick some truck wheels and tires on. The last one had pipe bumpers, dual range transmission, and dual electric fans, Limited Slip differential, and it had more ground clearance then my cousin Jeep Cherokee (stock). It was a blast to drive and super cheap to fix and got 24mpg. I have owned somewhere around 7 subes in my lifetime.

000_0121-3.jpgP0002919.jpg100_0788.jpg100_0789.jpg

This one here was pretty sweet, and this is the only remaining pic of it after my harddrive crash. It's hard to see but there was a lot of room after the lift on it.
    edited P0003373.JPG

This last one is not mine, but it was a guy that is a member of Subaru club I used to belong too. Full 6" custom lift, with full lockers, he also stuff a 6 cyl motor into this beast. This is the inspiration for my build.
    brat.jpg
    Last edited by Tin Soldier; 06-30-2012 at 05:46 PM.
    ~ Ryan
    The webmaster.
    ----------
    Support the website!

Post Thanks / Like
    This is right up my alley. I love to see the different stuff built up. A set of SDI fender flares would look awesome on the Sub. When I get caught up we can look at a Delrin chassis, unless you are going to go for it yourself.

Wes

Post Thanks / Like
    I like the way this is going. I'm interested.

"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered...I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies... The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs." -Thomas Jefferson
    rikkles - i'm loving this nitro jazz, its's dirty, smelly, and fast. much like marc

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Wes, I would love to have you make one. Adam said he tried delrin and it flexed way to much. He is moving over to making rails out of aluminum, but the lazer cutter isn't quite setup yet.

I would give it a shot.

I wanted to build this because it's totally different for an offroad machine, but the real cars are very capable. Usually you just got build up a little speed in them. They work well in the mud, not as good on rocks, but it's still fun as heck to have a grocery getter in the woods.
    ~ Ryan
    The webmaster.
    ----------
    Support the website!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    These pix will show the length of the body and the wheel spacing. It's about an inch longer wheel base then a stock MRC. I have seats already for the interior. I have no "glass" for it, so I may just use like some pop bottle or something. I would love to put the motor under the hood and use a T case, but I have never done that. It would make the weigh seem more realistic. Plus it would be sweet to make the hood open for battery swaps.

IMG_20120218_144521.jpg
    With the wheels mocked up under it, it looked like axle center would be about 10 1/4" apart. So I will have to make a longer drive shaft. Probably the rear one. Real subaru brats where front wheel drive, with a magnetic engage rear end.
    IMG_20120218_144532.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Tin Soldier; 02-18-2012 at 10:20 PM.
    ~ Ryan
    The webmaster.
    ----------
    Support the website!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tin Soldier View Post
    Wes, I would love to have you make one. Adam said he tried delrin and it flexed way to much. He is moving over to making rails out of aluminum, but the lazer cutter isn't quite setup yet.

I would give it a shot.

I wanted to build this because it's totally different for an offroad machine, but the real cars are very capable. Usually you just got build up a little speed in them. They work well in the mud, not as good on rocks, but it's still fun as heck to have a grocery getter in the woods.
    I am starting to figure out that the Delrin rails are way too flexy. I however have a solution. Getting close to my chassis being the way I want it. It's going to take some creative bracing!

Wes

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I decided that rather wait for a solution to be found I would just start working with what I had. I had some brake line laying around and I started bending.

I think it may work out. I have just have to make a few cross supports out of something.

here is what I started with. I bent them to fit the shape of the body.

IMG_20120219_141606.jpg
    Then I mounted the transmission in.
    IMG_20120219_145122.jpg
    It Seemed to line up ok.
    IMG_20120219_150702.jpg
    Then I made some stretched out rear links.
    IMG_20120219_154541.jpg
    And then I mounted it all up.

IMG_20120219_155922.jpg
    Everything looked good until I went to mount the upper links. I broke the frame rail after drilling too big a hole thru it.
    IMG_20120219_155945.jpg
    I realized that the frame design would not work the way I had it since I don't know how to the 4 link correctly. So I started over. This is where I left it sitting. Tranny mounted, front links mounted. I have to mount rear links, shocks, and cross members. Then figure out how to mount the body. This is my first attempt and I spent about 5-6 hours on it today. It still may not work perfectly since I bent it all by hand. I also have to build a long drive shaft since the rear is stretched out more.
    IMG_20120219_210605.jpg
    I fear it maybe very weak since I didn't have the know how or capabilities to solder/weld washers on, so I just drilled thru the brake line and that what made a weak point in the last frame. We'll see.
    ~ Ryan
    The webmaster.
    ----------
    Support the website!

Post Thanks / Like
    If it was bigger or heavier wall you might be ok. Good idea though, looking forward to this build.

Wes

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice thinking. Looking forward to seeing the Brat come alive

Why do I care where Waldo is?

THE MASTER!!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast