PDA

View Full Version : Liquid Electrical Tape

brazwewn
04-23-2010, 01:39 AM
This is definitely all over the place and there are tons of good youtube videos, but here it goes. Go to Wal-Mart and buy a can of liquid electrical tape in a spray can. The same company makes the plasti-dip spray can, but it is much thicker. I think it is the same stuff with just a different viscosity.

Take apart your Rx and tape up and LEDs, switches, plugs and wires. Spray several thin coats on the board making sure to get good coverage. After the coats are dry slip the Rx back into the case and presto chango you have a waterproof Rx. Same concept applies for the ESC, but there are extra concerns about not covering up the heat sinks.

The servo is a little less intrusive, but there is still some prep work to do it right. First take off the front cover to expose the gears. Next fill in the gears with waterproof green grease, making sure to liberally coat the output shaft. Bolt the servo back together and wipe off any excess grease. Tape up the wires, but leave 1/4" exposed where it enters the servo. Now spray the crap out of the servo. Plasti-dip spray might work better here. Once dry take an x-acto and cut around the base of the output shaft. Between the plasti-dip and the excess grease on the shaft this will keep most water out.

There is always the plastic box method, but I personally don't like the look of Tupperware mounted to my rig. :lol:

These are my favorite youtube videos

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_cN99P7 ... re=related (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_cN99P7cho&feature=related)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_lQXDzS3pA&NR=1

Tin Soldier
04-23-2010, 10:39 AM
NIce. I did the same thing as well. I just stuck my rx and esc in black balloons though. Neither get hot and my rx is already in a box that came with the Axial. So I stuffed them in balloon. Zip stripped the end, filled it with grease, and zip stripped again so there was a water barrier.

rik
01-02-2011, 09:52 PM
where do i purchase the water proof green grease. is this a marine grease? boating store? :?

JSLICK
01-02-2011, 11:34 PM
any auto parts store or you can even use Lucas Red N Tacky. I have both.

Tin Soldier
01-03-2011, 01:24 AM
btw, after doing a lot of water scaling. I have toasted 3 servos an esc and a motor. Water is the electronics enemy. I had the liquid electrical tape thing done and it still fried. Current setup is to have the liquid tape and a balloon, and I throw a desiccant pack from some jerky or something in the balloon to soak up excess moisture. I gave up and just bought a water proof servo after trying 3 times to make one. I have not yet toasted an RX but I put them in a balloon and a box since the 3 chans are spendy I wanted to be extra sure.

brazwewn
01-03-2011, 03:14 AM
That is weird. My Rx is sprayed and just sits out in the open. I am knocking on wood as I speak, but it has not given me any problems. I never fully sub-merged it, but it has surely been under water. I figure I was trying for scale and fully sub-merging would kill the driver. :)

Wes

PontiacGT201
01-03-2011, 04:58 AM
That is weird. My Rx is sprayed and just sits out in the open. I am knocking on wood as I speak, but it has not given me any problems. I never fully sub-merged it, but it has surely been under water. I figure I was trying for scale and fully sub-merging would kill the driver. :)

Wes

Don't worry wes. My rx, and esc both are coated in plasti-dip and they never get to hot.

bob1961
01-06-2011, 03:31 PM
i have the plasti-dip and i'm just going to ditch the plastic cases from each piece of electronics and frame mount them where i need them....my thinking is that when put back into the cases water/moisture can get trapped in them and poof there goes the electric's....out in the open they can dry without collecting/absorbing wtaer/moisture........bob

rik
01-07-2011, 01:05 AM
i waterproofed my honcho last weekend. i used plati-dip. monday i went trailin. so there i stood, in front of the broadhead creek, with a BRAND new honcho RTR with only 5 minutes of runtime on it in my basement. second guessing my water-proofing efforts. i stood there for about 3 minutes, figuring that i have spare servos, esc's, and have a brand new radio system on the way. so what did i do??? what any real idiot, i mean man, would do... i threw it right in the water...literally.. totally submerged..it was then i realized i didn't water-proof the servo..awesome. but, i drove it right outta the creek. unharmed. though, i didn't submerge it after that...