PDA

View Full Version : 3 channel help...

rik
12-17-2010, 10:18 PM
i wanna pick up a three channel radio. i was looking at the spektrum dx3-e. is the third channel a three position? if so, will it work with a winch or rear steer?

JSLICK
12-17-2010, 10:52 PM
Yes, I use it for my dig on my 2.2 and it runs my winch on my scaler also. Not sure about rear steer.

rik
12-17-2010, 11:26 PM
thanks man. oh, i got your links spun. hopefully they will go on the fadal on monday to get engraved. sorry for the delay...work is f'n crazy right now and open machine time is sparse....

brazwewn
12-18-2010, 01:06 AM
Futaba epm-x is a good 3 channel and is designed to run 4ws. It also has memory, so you can have up to ten different settings or trucks programmed. Very helpful with end point adjustments.

Wes

Tin Soldier
12-18-2010, 02:14 AM
yes dx3e will do rear steer. It's 2 & 3 position and linear

rik
12-20-2010, 01:55 AM
thanks for the input guys..seems like quite a racket both spektrum and futaba have goin. on one hand i think the futaba looks better. but the additional rx's are out of my price range. on the other hand, the spektrum rx's are in my price range but the dx3r isnt. think i'll go with the dx3e and get some additional rx's. i foresee re-binding in the near future...oh well.. :)

JSLICK
12-20-2010, 02:11 AM
I run all 3 of my rigs with the DX3E and have not had to rebind them, I just have to change the endpoints for each rig. Not a real big deal.

Tin Soldier
12-20-2010, 04:34 AM
I got my dx3r for $250 on ebay and it came with two receivers. I then buy the cheaper Losi spektrum stuff for all my other rigs. Everything is Spektrum and it wasn't that much. You use losi receiver anywhere you need two channels, and the more spendy spektrum where you need 3.

rik
12-22-2010, 03:20 AM
so the "10 model memory" on the dx3r is the remote remembering the specific settings for up to 10 different receivers? but the dx3e will just remember how ever many receivers but not the individual settings? ie, having to set your endpoints every time you switch rigs, but not have to rebind? also, regarding the 3rd channel, what does "linear" mean? sorry the endless questions, but this spektrum 3 channel jive is confusing to me. thanks for the help, it's much appreciated. :)

Tin Soldier
12-22-2010, 08:57 PM
so the "10 model memory" on the dx3r is the remote remembering the specific settings for up to 10 different receivers? but the dx3e will just remember how ever many receivers but not the individual settings? ie, having to set your endpoints every time you switch rigs, but not have to rebind? also, regarding the 3rd channel, what does "linear" mean? sorry the endless questions, but this spektrum 3 channel jive is confusing to me. thanks for the help, it's much appreciated. :)

Correct. You are binding the receiver to the transmitter, not the transmitter to the receiver. :-)

Linear means it will function like the steering and the throttle do. Hold it down and it will go that direction. With the position. It's a one click for that position. So a 2P would be like open and closed, where as a 3P would be open, middle, closed. Normally a 3P is used for dig. So you have 4x4, 2 wheel with rear free, and then 2 wheel with rear locked.

Linear is used for like rear steer. Since you can go a little bit at a time instead of just all one way or all the other way. I would imagine that 2P would be for a winch or for working lights or something the just needs to be on or off.

rik
01-02-2011, 09:50 PM
thanks for the help guys. i decided to go with the dx3e. ordered it xmas day. hopefully, it will be here this week. i :)

JSLICK
01-03-2011, 02:22 AM
I think you will be happy with it.

rik
01-07-2011, 01:12 AM
so my dx3e arrived today. wow. what a cool radio. first thing i did was bind it to the micro. then put the rx in my comp crawler. this radio is just what i wanted.
i figure i can use it in all my rigs. the super will now have independent 4WS, the scaler will get a winch, the comp crawler will FINALLY get DIG, and the crawler king will get, umm, nothing. cuz it's a crawler king and it dont need 3 channels. :) anyway, just wanted to thank you guys for all the input.

actually, i do have one more question. if, say, i pick up a used rx, do i need the bind plug that came with used rx? or can i use the bind plug that came with my system?

thanks again guys... :mrgreen:

Tin Soldier
01-07-2011, 03:10 AM
Any bind plug will work, or even a paperclip for that matter. On my DX3e I found that the bind plug actually fit in the battery tray that way you never loose it and you always have it just in case.

P.S. You can also use a 2chan losi RX with those radios. A lot cheaper for stuff that doesn't need 3 chan. So you can get a bind and drive mini crawler. :-)

CrookByDaBook
08-10-2011, 02:38 AM
My FS-GT3B is an awesome 3 channel for only $35 bucks @ Hobbypatrz.com.

rik
08-26-2011, 09:20 PM
My FS-GT3B is an awesome 3 channel for only $35 bucks @ Hobbypatrz.com.

I'm thinking about picking one of these up and hacking it using losikid's hack kit to make it run dual esc's. I was just pm'ing him last night about it. Everyone seems to be happy with it.

JSLICK
08-26-2011, 09:38 PM
I would like to take a look at one.

DIRTY
08-26-2011, 10:07 PM
I looked at them for a little while myself, just never pulled the trigger.

rik
08-26-2011, 11:56 PM
from what losikid told me, the hack is very easy. you need the hack kit, the radio, and some tools. (screw drivers, pliers, snips, and a soldering gun.) then ya cut a piece of plastic, solder 4 small joints, and then flash the firmware. seems easy enough for me to screw up. :lol:

if ya go to his site, you can purchase a hacked radio for 70 bones. which isnt too bad at all. the radio is 35 plus shipping and his kit is 25 plus shipping, then you still have to do the hack. if ya just buy a hacked radio, you're still spending about the same amount of bread, but all the work is done for you.

i may end up just doin that. from what i've read, everyone likes them a lot.

here is an email he sent me when i asked what i need and if its hard to do.

"Yes a gt3b, and my hack kit is all you need...besides tools (phillips head, soldering iron, snips, pliers, etc)

Its not hard at all, 4 easy solder joints. and cutting a small piece of plastic"

the amazing thing, to me, is he is just a kid. just started his senior year this past monday.

here is his site.

http://overkillrc.com/

Quirk
08-27-2011, 12:41 AM
So if I am reading this right, you can buy ONE hack kit, and then buy the header pins (which need to be soldered in) for as many radios as you want?

This could be one heck of a good deal if you have a handful of guys wanting the radio. You could split the cost of the hack kit between 3-4 people and just buy the $0.75 header pin kit for each radio. For one radio I agree that $70 is a good deal, but if 4 wanted the radio then it is worth looking into.

4@$70 = $280 plus shipping (Maybe $75 per radio)

4 radios @$35 = $140 (plus shipping)
$25 hack kit plus 3 header pins @ $0.75 = $27.25 (plus shipping)
Total = $167.25 (plus shipping)
Maybe $45-$50 per radio after shipping, Saves roughly $25 per person!!

rik
08-27-2011, 01:05 AM
ah man, it's too late to be doing math. plus, i'm off the clock. so, i'll just say, yes. :lol:

but, seriously, you figures seem right. i'd be in, if they are. anyone else?

i think the rx's are like 8 or 9 bucks for the three channel. i haven't researched the six channel rx's. i think, with the hack, this radio becomes a six channel. like i said, i think.

edit the 3 ch rx's are 7.40, the 6 ch. rx's are 9.00. i gonna pm losikid right now and ask for more details. i.e., how many channels the radio does hacked, and what rx's are compatible. it appears that the hack will give you the option of 3, 6, or 8 channels.

rik
08-27-2011, 01:28 AM
so losikid just got back to me. the hack will give you 3-8 channels. here is his tech thread on rcc. (sorry to direct traffic awaqy from this site, but i aint typing all that stuff)

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/showthread.php?t=321742

and here's a video of dual esc's...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7dGifwCvtw

i dunno about you guys, but i'm all over this.