PDA

View Full Version : Castle Sidewinder with the "Jitters"

brazwewn
07-05-2010, 11:07 AM
I upgraded my ESC on the crawler to a Castle Sidewinder. I also got a 10A Castle BEC. The idea was to get more power with a 3s and max torque on the servos. I didn't order the field link right away, since I thought I could do some basic programming via stick inputs. The ESC can run brushless and brushed motors. I hooked it up and commenced to go thru the painful process of configuring it with my Tx. All of the settings are correct based on the manual. The problem is the motor has the "jitters" in both forward and reverse. When you apply throttle it shakes violently and the motor will not spin up.

I tried to bypass the BEC by unplugging it and reinstalling the red wire from the ESC and the problem persists. I read on RCC where it might be a software issue and the white wire needs to be used instead of the black. They said with an update the black wire could be used again, like the manual states. I also read that this is a sign of a defective ESC. The positive thing is that everyone said that Castle was good about swapping out defective ESCs.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. I am going to try and get a field link soon. I am also going to try the white wire trick. Just for kicks, I might go back thru the programming. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Wes

JSLICK
07-05-2010, 11:52 AM
my micro sidewinder did the same thing. are you running a brushed or brushless motor? mine was set from the factory as brushless and I was running a brushed motor. It would shake like you said. I had Adam use his castle link to program it and it was perfect.

brazwewn
07-05-2010, 12:34 PM
I am running a brushed, but I tried to set the thing to brushed via the Tx. Maybe it did not take. I need to see if I can get my hands on a link until I can get mine to come in the mail.

Wes

StartGateCrasher
07-05-2010, 01:55 PM
The default setting on the side winder is brushless, I don't know about programing with the lights but with the link software you can update settings in a matter of seconds. That's what slicks did and I just fixed the settings and upgraded the firmware and it works great now. Are you running that on you ax10?

StartGateCrasher
07-05-2010, 01:57 PM
I have a link if you wanna meet somewhere we can hook it up and check your settings.

brazwewn
07-05-2010, 09:49 PM
Thanks everyone, I stopped by and picked up a link. It turns out that the stick programming does not change the motor type. All my other settings were there when I plugged in the link. The only one that was set to default was the motor type. All I need to do now is figure out where I want to set things. First though, I will need to pick up my new 3s batteries at the PO.

I ran it around the basement with my big heli battery strapped on. It is super quick and responsive now. I also have a tremendous amount of steering power with the BEC set to 6v. I haven't got a chance for the dig to get good and locked up, but it seems like it shifts smoother now as well. I might buy one for my Jeep since it helped so much.

Wes

StartGateCrasher
07-05-2010, 09:52 PM
What rig? are you running the sidewinder in?

brazwewn
07-05-2010, 10:11 PM

The Axial Scorpion "Gator"

StartGateCrasher
07-06-2010, 01:55 AM

And you're not having any issues with the larger motors? I was under the impression the Sidewinder was only for the Micro's with the smaller motors.

brazwewn
07-06-2010, 02:16 AM

And you're not having any issues with the larger motors? I was under the impression the Sidewinder was only for the Micro's with the smaller motors.

There are two Sidewinders, one for the micro and one for the 1/10 scale. Below is what I got.

Wes

http://www.castlecreations.com/products/sidewinder.html