PDA

View Full Version : wireless winch range

stevetate12
03-21-2014, 01:16 PM
ok i made another thread fro this because i am the type that rufuses to give up when trying to solve a problem.....lol.... i have an rc4wd wireless winch controller and the range sux.... need to be a few inches from the truck to work... tried new fob battery....improved a little took the water proofing off.... no improvement.... twisted a legnth of coper wire to the little coil ant on the circuit board..no improvement.....the only thing i havent tried is using a separate power source for the controller/receiver
for the winch......no im testing this with a lipo that has a storage charge on it controller wired into the battery that runs the truck and the range issue is worse with the truck powered on..... get your electrical engineering on here!....im not giving up on this i will fix this.......lol any and all ideas or suggestions are welcome...save "throw it away"....for further down the thread....hahahahaha

JSLICK
03-21-2014, 01:53 PM
You don't have a 3rd position switch on your controller right? I gave up on the stock winch controllers and use another esc to control the winch. I'll have to look around I might have a spare. I have the DX3e which has the 3rd position switch.

cjsmith4
03-21-2014, 02:55 PM
John, he tried the three position switch method and his winch wouldn't stop spooling. Just like mine did.

I have never actually tried to see how far away I could get from the truck and still have the winch work with the wireless controller because I am always right next to it while winching. I run my winch off its own 2s lipo. It's always worked well for me. I did plan to try John's esc method just to see how it worked. But I won't get around to doing that for awhile.

stevetate12
03-21-2014, 03:15 PM
i have a 3 position switch on the radio.....may try an esc but i have no trim control on it... damon has an extra flysky radio thats not hacked im gonna pick up sat if we can meet up\.... im pretty sure that has a 3 pos switch and trim settings on the third channel...the controller that came with this winch is terrible...i guess i could try it with a trim adjustment after i get one... that and i need to try a separtate battery thats fully charged as well i guess....i do like how this winch works.....thats why i wanna make it work the way i want....lol....i should get anotehr one today ill see if i just got a bad one

Quirk
03-21-2014, 05:09 PM
I never had any luck with the provided winch controllers, I burned more of them up than I want to count. Not sure of any fix for the wireless aside from getting a new controller. By the time you go that route you would be better off buying a HeyOK 3 position winch controller. They work great and if there is some sort of issue he will get it working for your setup.

stevetate12
03-21-2014, 07:23 PM
thats the next move......but im not convinced i cant make my own yet......lol

Quirk
03-21-2014, 08:55 PM
thats the next move......but im not convinced i cant make my own yet......lol

I have been researching that also, not wireless though, looking at 3rd ch 3 pos controllers.

stevetate12
03-21-2014, 10:25 PM
Why couldn't I make one from a servo board.....the pot just acts as the trim zero when ya take it all apart

Sent from a big fat phone

Quirk
03-21-2014, 11:56 PM
Why couldn't I make one from a servo board.....the pot just acts as the trim zero when ya take it all apart

You could, it is not hard....

You can just center the potentiometer (AKA pot) then CA it in position. The cheapest way to do it.
Or

(Steps taken from another site)
Step one: Take apart the servo and remove the board, potentiometer (pot) and motor.

Step two: turn the pot all the way to the left, measure resistance between the middle lead and an outside lead (try both outside leads, you want the one that will give you the greatest resistance)

Step three: find two 1/4 watt or greater resistors equal to roughly half the resistance you read from the pot. (Both resistors have to be the same value)

Step four: unsolder pot from board.

Step five: solder one lead from each resistor to where the middle pot lead went, then solder a lead from one resistor to where the right pot lead went and solder a lead from the other resistor to where the left pot lead went.

Step six: Unsolder motor wires and leave as motor leads.

Many have done this and some results work, while others don't (they tend to creep)
A few less well known hints that I have found
1. Don't use Radio Shack resistors they generally have a tolerance of 5%, you want better quality ones with a tolerance of 1%.
2. Jumper the resistors (value from above) in place and see if it works as planned, if it creeps, reposition the resistors (switch right to left, center, etc.) better quality resistors (1% tolerance) should not have this problem.

stevetate12
03-22-2014, 12:45 AM
Source for said resistors?.......cause I was gonna go to radio shack.....lol

Quirk
03-22-2014, 01:35 AM
Source for said resistors?.......cause I was gonna go to radio shack.....lol

Simjunkie is the electronic guru.

You can try RatShack resistors just to get an idea how they work, they aren't garbage, they work just fine for many applications. Doing a practice servo board with a cheapo servo is better than experimenting on a more expensive board. The common value seems to be 2.2 k Ohm resistors

SimJunkie
03-22-2014, 02:18 PM
Thanks quirk. If the winch still creeps after the resistors are on you can tweak the signal value by moving the micro step options on the controller if it is so equipped. Even though that channel is a 3 position switch the signal itself is still PWM(pulse width modulation - a value of 0 - 255) Due to the fact of 5% or 1% tolerances that's generally why you have some form of creep on the winch.

It's possible to build your own winch controller with an mega128 chip and an hbridge chip which generally costs about $2 of parts and a few hours only tinkering. The size is a bit bigger than conventional winch controllers but then you can guarantee yourself no creep ever. And then you can add in cool light options like turning your four ways on when you start the winch up...

rik
03-22-2014, 06:38 PM
Thanks quirk. If the winch still creeps after the resistors are on you can tweak the signal value by moving the micro step options on the controller if it is so equipped. Even though that channel is a 3 position switch the signal itself is still PWM(pulse width modulation - a value of 0 - 255) Due to the fact of 5% or 1% tolerances that's generally why you have some form of creep on the winch.

It's possible to build your own winch controller with an mega128 chip and an hbridge chip which generally costs about $2 of parts and a few hours only tinkering. The size is a bit bigger than conventional winch controllers but then you can guarantee yourself no creep ever. And then you can add in cool light options like turning your four ways on when you start the winch up...

don, you're great. i have no idea what you just said. lol but i want to make one now. ever the mad scientist, you are. muwahahahaha!

stevetate12
03-23-2014, 01:01 AM
simjunkie I actually know what your talking about ....most all interior stuff in car as well as a lot of engine control devices are PWM ...and thanks for posting those pics quirk cause I got half way there....hahaha.....now I know how the resistor attach....heres what I have
http://i1341.photobucket.com/albums/o748/stevetate12/WP_20140322_20_13_27_Pro_zps94d5b44f.jpg (http://s1341.photobucket.com/user/stevetate12/media/WP_20140322_20_13_27_Pro_zps94d5b44f.jpg.html)
http://i1341.photobucket.com/albums/o748/stevetate12/WP_20140322_20_13_37_Pro_zpsd2847009.jpg (http://s1341.photobucket.com/user/stevetate12/media/WP_20140322_20_13_37_Pro_zpsd2847009.jpg.html)
I have had it hooked to my third channel and zeroed out it doesn't creek at all.......I figure I can un solder this motor solder some small leads in and it should work just fine....and it about the same size as a 3racing controller

SimJunkie
03-23-2014, 01:43 AM
don, you're great. i have no idea what you just said. lol but i want to make one now. ever the mad scientist, you are. muwahahahaha!

Aww shucks man... Can't wait to drink some more wild crow or whatever that stuff was with you. I think I'm still hung over for 2 years now

stevetate12
03-25-2014, 10:43 PM
I must have gotten a bum setup.....i had ordered 2 of these to begin with and I just got the second one and it works from across the room....now I can't return the first one due to.the water proofing....ken has one waterproofed and its fine......oh well

Quirk
03-26-2014, 07:53 PM
Yeah, I read that some worked fine after waterproofing and some didn't.