PDA

View Full Version : why do i need a light controller

stevetate12
06-08-2013, 03:03 AM
I have sets I've bought that have 9 or more less running off of a 9v battery and I have and axial set of for with a controller I plastidipped....why can't I just wire leds without the controller ....i did notice more wiring without the controller meaning all leds have 2 wires going to the power source.....i saw a roof rack I wanted that comes with 4 leds and wiring and it says it requires a light controller...if so why can't I just put a 9v...and/or what would oli have to change in order to do that

kreeperxj
06-08-2013, 04:43 AM
I don't run a light controller, I have 2 leds per headlight, and 2 kc lights on rollbar. All my leads run to a 800mah rx pack with a toggle on/off switch.

stevetate12
06-08-2013, 10:25 AM
That's kinda what I was gonna do....ive wired them both ways and never hadda problem

SimJunkie
06-08-2013, 08:21 PM
Light controllers do a number of things. First and foremost it limits the amount amps flowing to LEDs so they last longer.

Also the fancier controllers do things like flash your turn signals, turn on reverse lights when reversing and make break lights function as a 1:1 vehicle does.

Do you absolutely need a microcontroller? Nope but it does add a scale look when the reverse, turn signals and brake lights work like the real car

stevetate12
06-08-2013, 10:07 PM
well alrighty then.........im for noe just looking to get lights turned on......the set i have has resistors at each led.... prolly for the reason you said...... i dont suppose you know what resistor that would be.......

SimJunkie
06-08-2013, 11:38 PM
The resistors function is to slow the current rate through the LED which allows you battery to live longer and LED to not burn out. The higher the resistor value the dimmer the brightness. You can determine the value of the resister in two ways... Decipher the color code scheme on the resistor itself or put it on a volt meter in the resistance setting.