PDA

View Full Version : Battery Help????

StartGateCrasher
06-07-2010, 01:32 AM
Ok, here's the issue I'm having. My NIMH batter won't hold a charge and my 1345 LIPO won't charge past a capasity of 135. Then I put them in my truck everything jitters like there's not enough power going to the ESC and moter... here's my queston. Upping the voltage to the servo on the bec to 6v, will that drain too much power from the battery making it so that the ESC doesn't have enough juce to run properly... ie causing the lipo cutoff to kick in?

Arct1k
06-07-2010, 02:15 AM
No way unless something is seriously broken and pulling lots of amps...

Did you remove the red wire from ESC to RX when you plugged the BEC into the RX?

StartGateCrasher
06-07-2010, 03:22 AM
This is how I have the BEC hooked up. I'm starting to think it's the bateries or my charger is jacked up.

http://www.eparccrawlers.com/forum/download/file.php?id=131

shootr79
06-07-2010, 04:14 AM
he has the bec run direct to the servo not to the esc so there might be a possibility its draining to much

StartGateCrasher
06-10-2010, 03:08 AM
Well I disconnected the BEC and the ESC seams to be responding normaly again. It was a little jittery, then I reset it and now it works fine? I think running the BEC at 6V is too much for it. I was reading the book for the Novak goat and it has in internal BEC set to 6V and the lipo cut off kills it at 6.c volts... so I think with the internal BEC pulling a steady 6V and the BEC pulling 6V it was a little much. I might just have to run with the Goat internal BEC and use the Castle BEC with the MRC setup once I get a better servo and ESC system.

JSLICK
06-10-2010, 11:02 AM
Check on the instructions on the BEC, I saw last night that some of them are for just 3s lipo. This might be your problem.

bob1961
06-10-2010, 01:38 PM
all i did was pull the red wire from the ESC and plugged BEC into the batt port on RX like in castles diagram....no issues what so ever and i have my BEC set at 6.2 volts, plus i'm running 8 cell nimh 1500's with an hour run time in my crawler...........bob

StartGateCrasher
06-10-2010, 02:07 PM
I checked to spec for my bec and it will handle 2-6 cell lipo, I'm really confused about all this everything worked great till I upped the voltage to 6v. I've got a batery voltage reader on the way so well check the battery next. I'm hopping the esc isn't crapping out on me already. It doesn't act like the lipo cutoff kicks in because when you pull the throttle I hear a pinging like a spring from the esc like it's not getting enough power. But once I disconnected the bec it did that once, i turned it off and back on and everything seams to be back to normal. I'm going to put a Mini deans on the bec for trouble shooting so it's east to hook up and un hook.

brazwewn
06-10-2010, 05:00 PM
Not sure if you have already tried this, but can you run the rig without the BEC installed. Just use the internal BEC from the ESC to see if that part is working ok. I cannot imagine how bypassing the Rx and going straight to the steering servo from the BEC would cause any issues. Either you pass voltage thru the Rx or you bypass the receiver. That shouldn't make any difference with draining your battery down quickly. It is suspicious this started after reprogramming.

Wes

StartGateCrasher
06-11-2010, 01:21 AM
I snipped the wires ont he BEC so I'm just running witht he BEC on the RX and it seams to be running fine now. I'm not sure why the Castle BEC was causing it to be strange... unless my batery is out of balance perhaps... then again i shouldn't see the same results when running my NIMH battery? I'll find out shortly, this batery I have doesn't have a common balance plug but my new bateries just showed up and I can balance them so I will get one of them charge up and see if it's still being wac. but first I'm instaling a mini deans so I can unplug the Castle BEC if it's still going wac while testing.

JSLICK
06-11-2010, 03:58 AM
Sounds like a plan :)

StartGateCrasher
06-12-2010, 02:20 AM
here's the final scoop... I got a mini deans plug so I could hook up my BEC and un hook it for testing perpouses... and now It seams to work just fine. Perhaps it was just a glitch or the settings on my RX... I went through my RX and tweeked the settings a bunch to give me more control over the truck and once it was all set up it works great... then I hooked up the BEC and still working great... now I'm going to charge up a couple packs and take it out and see if I can make it happen again... perhaps it was just a gost :o

Tin Soldier
06-12-2010, 03:09 AM
Or maybe you just didn't have the thing programed right ;-)

JSLICK
06-13-2010, 04:40 AM
Glad it worked out, I'll have to show you the bec I have and compare notes, I would like to put it in the 1.9 or 2.2 don't know yet.

StartGateCrasher
06-15-2010, 07:15 PM
Figured out the problem, the reciever was entering the fail safe mode because the radio signal was weak due to low bateries in the radio. Apparently with the traxxas radio when the transmitter signal weakens due to low batteries the reciever forces the esc to nutral so you don't loose control of your vehicle. It helps to read all your paperwork :)

brazwewn
06-15-2010, 08:18 PM
Figured out the problem, the reciever was entering the fail safe mode because the radio signal was weak due to low bateries in the radio. Apparently with the traxxas radio when the transmitter signal weakens due to low batteries the reciever forces the esc to nutral so you don't loose control of your vehicle. It helps to read all your paperwork :)

WOW...yeah that is all I am going to say! :oops:

Tin Soldier
06-16-2010, 01:37 AM

Wow. Weren't we just talking about how you haven't had to change batteries in that thing? And I didn't even think of it even thos I had a similar problem with my MRC.