PDA

View Full Version : AE-2 ESC problem

lojim
12-29-2012, 08:45 PM
I have the new SX10 JK. All stock. Today I tried to run it a bit and found I didn't have forward or reverse. I have steering. I removed the body and did some testing. I switched the throttle and steering wires - still had steering but no throttle. Then I thought it was the motor. Connected the motor directly to the battery, runs strong with no issues. On/Off switch on the ESC works. All the connections look good.

So...thoughts on where the problem could be? Can an ESC be repaired? If I need to replace - is there an upgrade that will work with my Axial as a noob? Thanks for your help in advance.

brazwewn
12-29-2012, 09:09 PM
If I remember correctly that ESC is made Castle Creations. You may want to hook it up to a Castle Link to see what is going on. A few people on the site have one. Did you verify the settings didn't get accidentally changed on the Tx.

A good upgrade would be a BRXL, Sidewinder, FXR or Mamba Max Pro.

Wes

brazwewn
12-29-2012, 09:13 PM
Also, make sure your battery is charged. The servo will work pretty well with a dead battery, but the motor will not.

Wes

lojim
12-29-2012, 10:46 PM
Yes it does have the ability for castle link - I personally don't have that "upgrade" of the connection though.

Batteries are both new and charged 100%.

Thanks for the other suggestions.

Quirk
12-29-2012, 10:52 PM
Have any other motors or radios you can try?

lojim
12-29-2012, 10:58 PM
Nope. Only this.

lojim
12-29-2012, 11:49 PM
So I started looking at replacements and came across a complete brushless motor and ESC for a pretty reasonable price (then again I'm a noob).

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXAZUP&P=ML

I know it says for 2wd but the transfer case is connected after the drive motor so I'm not sure why that would matter.

Please educate me before I make a mistake. Thanks.

rik
12-29-2012, 11:57 PM
your gonna want to stay away from the combo you listed for a few reasons, the main being its sensorless. sensorless systems cog (or bog out and stutter) at low rpms. basically those systems are good for go-fast rigs or bashers. if your going brushless, you need a sensored system. these systems dont cog under low rpms.

Quirk
12-30-2012, 12:05 AM
If it is new then you may want to try Axial's customer support, they may help you out, it is worth a try

JSLICK
12-30-2012, 12:26 AM
Did you run it out in the snow today? They are not waterproof.

lojim
12-30-2012, 12:55 AM
Good to know about sensorless.

I am planning to call CS on Monday to see if there is anyway to repair/any other items that could have gone bad – but any replacement would be on my dime.

Snow - not today but the other day I did. Ran fine the whole time. I guess when it was drying I got some corrosion somewhere. Someone mentioned trying to put it in a bag of rice overnight to get out any excess moisture. I figure at this point anything is worth a shot.

lojim
12-30-2012, 04:42 PM
In case anyone was wondering - the bag of rice worked!!!!!!!

Put it all together this morning and it drives around like a champ. The rice soaked up whatever moisture was left in the ESC and all is good now.

rik
12-30-2012, 04:52 PM
In case anyone was wondering - the bag of rice worked!!!!!!!

Put it all together this morning and it drives around like a champ. The rice soaked up whatever moisture was left in the ESC and all is good now.

http://i803.photobucket.com/albums/yy311/eliettesdaddy/sheen_winning_zpsa08327c2.jpg

brazwewn
12-30-2012, 04:57 PM
Do yourself a favor and waterproof that ESC right away. It is very easy to do and only requires a trip to Walmart.

Pop open the case and remove the circuit board. It is a tight fit, but comes out with some gentle persuasion. Next paint everything with several coats of liquid electrical tape. This is in the automotive section at most Walmarts. Wait for it to dry completely and press back into the case.

Wes

JSLICK
12-30-2012, 05:01 PM
or put it in a balloon and zip tie it closed. Or do both. Glad to hear that it is working.

bmf
12-30-2012, 10:06 PM
dont put your esc in a baloon, it will overheat.
btw, i ran my ae2 in my wraith in a lot of water. it never had a problem.
theres a bunch of videos on how to do the tiquid tape trick. doesnt look hard.

JSLICK
12-30-2012, 10:50 PM
dont put your esc in a baloon, it will overheat.
btw, i ran my ae2 in my wraith in a lot of water. it never had a problem.
theres a bunch of videos on how to do the tiquid tape trick. doesnt look hard.

Ran my ESC in one with no heat issues for 2 seasons, I had to replace the balloon several times but it is a quick easy way to WP. Liquid elecrtical tape is a good way to go.

lojim
01-01-2013, 10:59 PM
I have to say that liquid electrical tape is great stuff. I was trying to find more things to use it on. Not that I have any intention to swamp my crawler - just feel a lot better about the occasional snow wheeling now.

Thanks again to all to gave input.

brazwewn
01-01-2013, 11:34 PM
Kids are using the spray on version to coat car parts. It gives it the flat look cheap and can be easily removed. They even spray entire wheels in the stuff. Just poke cardboard around the tire and mask from there. You are right though it is cool stuff.

Wes