PDA

View Full Version : Lipo sizing Q for winch

Maxwedge
04-13-2012, 01:43 AM
I ordered a wireless winch controller from RC4WD, so that I can use my 3rd channel for rear steering. The controller plugs right into a battery and I'm wondering how small of a 2s Lipo I can get away with. I want something little so I can easily hide it, but I've only ever used 2200 mah packs and don't know what to expect outta the little guys. I'm looking at this 2s 800 ... http://www.hobbypartz.com/98p-20c-800-2s1p.html. You comp crawler guys know about small packs, what would you recommend?

Quirk
04-13-2012, 02:28 AM
I wouldn't go any less than 600 MaH But more than 1000 Mah is to big, so I would say stay in that range. You should have plenty of power for a days use, winch motors are tiny

brazwewn
04-13-2012, 02:35 AM
You could also use a BEC.

Wes

Tin Soldier
04-13-2012, 02:49 AM
yeah, I have two BECs on my class 2. One for winch, and one for lights and servo.

Maxwedge
04-13-2012, 03:07 AM
Well I ordered a few small SkyLipo batteries, an 800, 2) 500's and 2) 300's. I have a BEC for my steering servo(s), but since this (winch) controller looks like it's setup to work directly off it's own battery I'm gonna just try that first ( http://store.rc4wd.com/Wireless-Remote-Receiver-for-Bulldog-9300XT-Winch_p_984.html ). i have enough room left under the hood for a servo-sized object, and I need to fit the new controller and battery in there. If the 800 fits, good. If the 300 is all that fits at least I have a couple of them. Oh, learning....

Yeah, I thought full-time 4ws would be the simplest way to go, but I didn't realize the realities of it. Testing at home, I was impressed by how I could circle round-n-round a post or tree. BUT, RR was my first outing with it, and when I was right on an edge/cliff, I had a hard time steering away from it. The front turns away, but the back runs right for (off) the cliff! You guys already knew this, I'm sure, but it shocked me. Duh!

I guess I'll just set the 3rd ch to 3 pos, as proportional would take too much time/bother to center after each use. Is this right?

Quirk
04-13-2012, 03:13 AM
Yes, three position would be best to start with, once you get familiar with it you can try the proportional.