PDA

View Full Version : What is a BEC?

StartGateCrasher
05-11-2010, 04:48 PM
Could some one explain what a BEC is and how I would hook one up?

JSLICK
05-11-2010, 04:56 PM
what I found.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=509691

http://www.radicalrc.com/category/BECs-154

brazwewn
05-11-2010, 06:11 PM
A BEC is a device that supplies a constant voltage to your electronics, such as Rx and servo. It stands for Batery Eliminator Circuit. They were designed to take the place of external battery packs. Your ESC has an internal BEC which supplies this power. The problem is that most of them are crap and lose efficiency when the ESC gets hot. Havinf an external BEC, keeps it cool and tpically has better electronics than the ones in ESCs.

I use Dimension Engineering and they are great. There are two models depending on what you need. I use the Park BEC, but the Sport BEC offers 5 and 6 volt options with higher current. On a heli there are several servos that need to work at optimum speed at sometimes descent torque. This is where I learned about the D.E. BECs.

http://www.dimensionengineering.com/ParkBEC.htm

http://www.dimensionengineering.com/SportBEC.htm

Wes

StartGateCrasher
05-11-2010, 06:50 PM
Let me see if I understand... With out the BEC you might not be operating the servo at full tourq (+6v) because the voltage isn't consistant. So with a BEC it ensures that the deliverable power stays at or above (+6v) to get the higher tourq. My servo says at4.8v 125oz and 6v 208 oz which is plenty but the lower inconsisyant voltage runs the tourq on the low side instead of at 6v to reap the full 208oz... Is that corect?

shootr79
05-11-2010, 06:58 PM
yah kinda if you get a bec remember topull the red wire from the plug part of your esc or you will F R Y THE LIVING SH!T OUT OF IT.. trust me i had 2 esc in my moa and the first time hooking it up i toasted both of them then somone told me to pull the red wire.. i am using the castle bec.
all it does is eliminates the reciever battery pack.. Battery Elimination Circuit

StartGateCrasher
05-11-2010, 07:15 PM
A BEC is a device that supplies a constant voltage to your electronics, such as Rx and servo. It stands for Batery Eliminator Circuit. They were designed to take the place of external battery packs. Your ESC has an internal BEC which supplies this power. The problem is that most of them are crap and lose efficiency when the ESC gets hot. Havinf an external BEC, keeps it cool and tpically has better electronics than the ones in ESCs.

I use Dimension Engineering and they are great. There are two models depending on what you need. I use the Park BEC, but the Sport BEC offers 5 and 6 volt options with higher current. On a heli there are several servos that need to work at optimum speed at sometimes descent torque. This is where I learned about the D.E. BECs.

http://www.dimensionengineering.com/ParkBEC.htm

http://www.dimensionengineering.com/SportBEC.htm

Wes

so with the park bec all I have to do is plug it in and connect the power wires? It will work that easy with a NOVAK Goat ESC without frying anything?

brazwewn
05-11-2010, 07:54 PM
I have a diagram at home, which I will post (hopefully I remember) that tells the best way to hook one up on a crawler. The Park BEC has this described in the directions, but the diagram is much better.

Basically there are a +/- wires on the BEC which go directly to the battery. There is a three prong pin which gets cut of or a connector, minus wires, slid on. In other words you want to remove the three pins or cover them up to prevent shorting. The other side of the BEC has a three wire connector. You want to cut the signal wire from the connector and leave the +/- wires intact.

Take an old servo and cut off the three wire connector. Now remove the +/- wires from the connector which leave you with a one wire connector. The one wire, which is the signal wire coming from the Rx gets tied into the cut wire from the BEC, NOT THE SIDE GOING TO THE BEC, THAT SHOULD BE CAPPED!! Plug in your servo and away you go.

You have a constant clean voltage which maximizes your servo and the Rx and ESC all work like nothing was ever done. Yes the voltage remains relatively flat which will give you as close to full torque as possible. Even when the ESC is hot. The ParkBEC is 5v and can run a few servos. The SportBEC is 5/6 volt and can run up to eight. If you can find a use for eight servos on a crawler spend the extra on the sport. Otherwise get the ParkBEC or equivalent.

Wes

brazwewn
05-11-2010, 08:22 PM
Here is the drawing.

Wes

[attachment=0:2q603k8r]BEC Wiring Diagram (Web).jpg[/attachment:2q603k8r]

Quirk
05-11-2010, 09:52 PM
Here is the drawing.

Wes

[attachment=0:35vv7g9f]BEC Wiring Diagram (Web).jpg[/attachment:35vv7g9f]

This is the way I wired my Castle BEC's. I use the internal BEC in the ESC to run the third channel (dig/punk unit) The BEC only powers my steering servo

StartGateCrasher
05-13-2010, 01:46 AM
OK, I got a Castle BEC but I was reading the directions and it says that the default setting is 5.1 Volts and to change it you have to have the "Castle Link USB" Does anyone have the USB devise so I can up my voltave to 6 so I can get the full benifit of the servo... I can already see a diference but the servo packing says I get more torque at 6V and less at 4.8V...

If that's inforect, can any one shed some light on this for me?

brazwewn
05-13-2010, 02:15 AM
Sounds like you are on the right track

Wes

shootr79
05-13-2010, 03:03 AM
with the castle bec you need to un hook the red wire from thr esc or you will burn it up... you want to take the red wire out at the plug on the esc... mistakes are how i learned. when i got my berg i just hooked everything up and toasted both of my tekin escs then i was told to unhook the red wire after the fact.. i dont want to see it happen to you.. expeience a hard lesson learned

OK, I got a Castle BEC but I was reading the directions and it says that the default setting is 5.1 Volts and to change it you have to have the "Castle Link USB" Does anyone have the USB devise so I can up my voltave to 6 so I can get the full benifit of the servo... I can already see a diference but the servo packing says I get more torque at 6V and less at 4.8V...

StartGateCrasher
05-13-2010, 09:04 AM
I hooked it up directly to the servo per the diagram on the previous page. I'm not sure how that would work if you un hooked the red wire cause then you would have no power. Basicly, I'm power wires to the ESC batery cable to power the unit... the signal wire cut and not used... the other power and ground hooked to the servo power and ground and just the servo signal wire pluged into the receiver... It seams to work great with "no smoke" if you unhooked the red wire this way I don't see how the unit or servo would recieve power?

Do yo have a USB link to up the voltage ont he castle BEC?

with the castle bec you need to un hook the red wire from thr esc or you will burn it up... you want to take the red wire out at the plug on the esc... mistakes are how i learned. when i got my berg i just hooked everything up and toasted both of my tekin escs then i was told to unhook the red wire after the fact.. i dont want to see it happen to you.. expeience a hard lesson learned

Tin Soldier
05-13-2010, 09:17 AM
Adam, Josh is talking about if you ran the castle bec to the rx instead of directly to the servo. Your way is fine. You should have snapped a couple pix of you slick wiring with out cutting servo cables.

brazwewn
05-13-2010, 11:01 AM
If you are passing the BEC power through the Rx, then there is a possibility to have issues as mentioned. If you hooked it up the way mentioned before the BEC power does not go to the Rx or the ESC. The power goes directly to the servo's. Below is a diagram of the method of removing the red wire. The problem with not removing the red wire is having two different power sources feeding the Rx and in turn back feeding the ESC.

Wes

Tin Soldier
05-13-2010, 11:20 AM
He followed your diagram. He doesn't have two power sources going to RX. The ESC powers RX and the BEC powers servo. He custom made a nifty little cable so he didn't have to cut servo wires. Lets him plug in any servo to the BEC. Pretty cool.

Quirk
05-13-2010, 11:24 AM
I can grab a laptop and meet you at HobbyTown to bump it up. Let me know so I can bring the laptop to work with me. Unless you have a laptop that you can load the castle software on and I will just bring the CC Link. Either way

StartGateCrasher
05-13-2010, 11:44 AM
Ok, now I understand. This is good info.

StartGateCrasher
05-13-2010, 11:45 AM
I can grab a laptop and meet you at HobbyTown to bump it up. Let me know so I can bring the laptop to work with me. Unless you have a laptop that you can load the castle software on and I will just bring the CC Link. Either way

I'm I going to need to recinect the signal wire to bump it up with the link?
There's no rush, you could just bring it to the comp I'll bring my laptop and we can bump it up there if that's ok.

Quirk
05-13-2010, 09:33 PM
At the comp works... Yes all wires will have to be reconnected