PDA

View Full Version : Whats the best crawler servo?

Tin Soldier
05-10-2010, 01:03 AM
Whats the best servo for a crawler? Looking for something real powerful.

brazwewn
05-10-2010, 01:16 AM
I have had real good luck with the Hitec HS-645MG. It is a high torque servo with mostly all metal gears. I finally stripped a gear in it, but it was from a bad fall and I don't use servo savers. You can find them on flea-bay for around $30 and the gear sets are $12. I bought a spare servo and two gear sets just in case.

Wes

Tin Soldier
05-10-2010, 03:15 AM
That's what I have and it's not doing it for me. Specially with the weighted rovers on the front. I suppose that it's better then breaking steering parts, but still wish it would turn when I want it too.

Gimp
05-10-2010, 03:17 AM
I use a CS-170 @ 6v (333oz-in) and love it. My weighted rovers are around 12-13 oz each, and it doesn't struggle to turn them.....EVER!

brazwewn
05-10-2010, 11:00 AM
That's what I have and it's not doing it for me. Specially with the weighted rovers on the front. I suppose that it's better then breaking steering parts, but still wish it would turn when I want it too.

My wheels are weighted in the front and I can pick up and move my entire front end just by turning the steering. I have no problem, unless the tires are bound up in a crack, and I don't think any servo would work in that situation.

Wes

brazwewn
05-10-2010, 01:21 PM
I almost forgot, but I also run a Dimension ENgineering Park BEC, which bypasses the ESC completely. I modified the plug coming from the Tx, so that only the signal wire is used. The power and ground come directly from the BEC, with the signal wire tied in to the servo wire. This makes a big difference to take your servo to the next level. BECs in ESCs are not really good, and the hotter the ESC gets the worse they perform. The Park BEC gives a constant clean voltage the entire time!

Wes

bob1961
05-10-2010, 01:45 PM
i have hitec's 7955 with 333oz and 16 oz wheel/tire combo and no troubles so far in over a year............bob