PDA

View Full Version : Micro Circus vehicle requirement and course penalties (rough draft)

DIRTY
11-01-2011, 02:24 AM
Micro Circus course penalties and rig regulations-

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

course penalties (comp crawlers and scale rigs)

Reverse: 1 point
Gate Marker: 10 points
Rollover: 5 points
Boundary Marker: 10 points
Vehicle Touch (Repair & Repositions): 10 points

- Free touch: One free touch per COURSE will be allowed, they do NOT accumulate from course to course. Use it or loose it( see vehicle touch examples below).

- Vehicle Touches: include but are not limited to: repairs, repositions, vehicle driving/falling into the driver.

- Back Up/ Reverse: (note* one free reverse will be given per live gate progressed, they do not accumulate. this applies for scale and comp rigs) (1 pt) point is given when a vehicle reverses course after making forward progress.
Reversing is defined as at any time if any of the tires move the vehicle backward or spin in the reverse direction,
whether engaged or in freewheel and/or whether intentional or not. Once a reverse penalty is given, no further reverse
penalty can be given until the vehicle makes forward progress. No penalty is given if the backward movement is part of
a penalized rollover. If a driver begins a course in reverse, a reverse penalty will occur immediately.

- Rollover: (5 pts) Points are given when vehicles rollover, and cannot be corrected without touching. Once the
vehicle has stopped it may be rolled over and the 5 point penalty shall be given. Vehicles that land back on their wheels
are not penalized. No reverse penalties are given until vehicle is up righted and back on all 4 tires. Drivers must execute
a legal roll over recovery, or they will be given a reposition penalty.

- Legal Rollover Recovery: The vehicle must be completely at rest and may not have any transmitter input
during the Rollover Recovery. The rig must be smoothly rolled over from driver or passenger sides, and not from the
front or back. The driver may only attempt to roll the vehicle in one direction. At no time during the Recovery can the
vehicle slide in any direction or lose contact with the ground. Once the truck is rolled over it must be able to hold its
position on its own long enough for the Judge to determine it is stable within the course boundaries. The course may be
continued at this point. If any of above criteria is not met, a Reposition penalty (10 pts, see Vehicle Touch rule)
will be given instead of a Roll Over (5 pts).

- Vehicle Touch: (10 pts) All vehicle touches excluding “Rollovers”, intentional or
unintentional, are given an automatic 10 points. The judge then will stop time when either the driver calls for a vehicle
touch or the judge calls a driver touch. The vehicle is then moved back by the driver to the previously cleared gate with
the rear axle aligned to that gate. If the vehicle cannot be aligned to the gate due to course design, the judge will
reposition the vehicle to the next stable location after the cleared gate. This location will be used for all drivers. Note: All
gates for progress are still “live” unless a gate has already been deemed “dead”.

- On Course Repairs: Must be completed on course and in the spot of which the driver decided to take the
repair. Repairs must be made within the course time, while the course timer will continue to run. If repairs are made
within the course time the driver must return to the last previous gate cleared. If repairs cannot be made within the
course time, the driver is given a DNF minus progress points for that course. There are no restrictions on whom or how
the repairs are made.

- Off course repairs (Optional): A driver can call time to make an off course repair. Repairs should be
completed within 30 minutes, or the driver is given a DNF minus progress points. If the repair is made in the allotted
time the driver must return to the last previous gate cleared. A 1 minute time penalty will be subtracted from the time
that is left on that course, the timer will continue once the vehicle makes forward progress.

- Gate Marker (10 pts each): each gate will be comprised of 2 gate markers. Points are given when 4
wheels do not travel between gate markers or any part of the vehicle or driver touches a gate marker. A gate marker will
remain "live" for the entire duration of the attempt on the course. Once any gate marker has been touched or straddled,
no more penalties will be given for that gate marker. Only when a gate penalty is assessed will that gate marker be
deemed "dead". No further penalties will be assessed at this point for that gate marker.

- Boundary Marker (10 pts each): Points are given when any part of the vehicle touches a boundary
marker. Once a boundary marker is touched the judge then will stop time, and the vehicle is then moved back by the
driver to the previously cleared gate with the rear axle aligned to that gate. If the vehicle cannot be aligned to the gate
due to course design, the judge will reposition the vehicle to the next stable location after the cleared gate. This location
will be used for all drivers. A boundary marker will remain "live" for the entire duration of the attempt on the course,
and should be replaced if moved. Boundary markers are not required in the design of a course.

- The maximum points per course is 50. At that time the driver is removed from the course and progress points will be applied up to the last progressed gate.

- The maximum points per gate is 20. (Optional) Once a driver has reached the maximum of 20- penalty
points for that gate they will be placed with the rear axle aligned to that gates exit. If the vehicle cannot be aligned to
the gate due to course design, the judge will reposition the vehicle to the next stable location after the cleared gate. No
progress points are given for the gates not cleared. (This will eliminate the "impossible gate")

- Time Out: A driver may call for time to stop so that he or she may safely reposition themselves on the course.
This time shall be used for the purpose of driver safety and may not be used to survey the course or for any other
advantage. Once the competitor is repositioned the time will start, however the judge has the right to start time at any
point.

- DNF: will consist of + 40 points with progress points deducted up untill the last gate progressed.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Course Design

- Gates consist of 2 Gate Markers.

- Minimum gate width is 2 inches wider than widest rig competing.

-(3-10) Gates per course

- Gates that are in close proximity to each other should be distinguished by color or markings.

- Start Lines may consist of a start gate, chalk line or any other type of designated starting area. Start lines are
only used to start the course clock.

Scoring starts when time has started. Scoring stops when course is finished.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Vehicle Requirements (comp crawlers)

- A maximum wheel base is 5.51

- Only the front wheels can steer the vehicle

- Bodiless chassis will of require body panels to be comp legal. But are reccomended.

- No "dig" or "rear burn" allowed

- Maximum tire height is 2.5 inches.

- Tire modification will be allowed, i.e. siping, lug removal, cut and shut tires will be allowed as long as they meet the set height requirement.

Vehicle requirements (scalers)

- There is no wheelbase restrictions but wheel base MUST closely match the body being used. Meaning wheels must fit under wheel wells (within 1/2 inch TOTAL) Things like flatbeds and tube chassis will be determined by person doing the tech in.

- Only the front wheels can steer the vehicle

- No "dig" or "rear burn" allowed

- Maximum tire height is 2.5 inches.

- Tire modification will be allowed, i.e. siping, lug removal, cut and shut tires will be allowed as long as they meet the set height requirement.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is what I have thus far, please feel free to participate in our discussion thread in the micro section. The more input we get from drivers and non drivers the better we can make this for everyone. And please remember this is for fun. Something to keep us on our toes in the winter months so we dont get rusty when the real season comes around.

marzzz23
11-01-2011, 03:45 AM
dang Dirty, that looks awesome!

RickB
11-01-2011, 06:15 PM
Looks good. 1/8th inch within the wheelbase for a scaler might be a bit generous. An 1/8th inch is big when considering the size of these little rigs, but I still think it's fair.

rik
11-02-2011, 06:52 PM
What about bodiless rigs. Do they need panels?

DIRTY
11-02-2011, 06:57 PM
I'm not too concerned with body panels at this point, unless you think they should be required.

JSLICK
11-02-2011, 07:34 PM
Not sure how I feel about them. Tough to figure out size of panels.

marzzz23
11-02-2011, 07:38 PM
I think body panels should be required, size is going to be a tough one, for 2.2 its the size of half a business card in general, so maybe a quarter of the card, must have hood, side panels and roof.....roof can be a tough one especially on the crawlerx chassis, maybe roof could be optional.

DIRTY
11-02-2011, 07:48 PM
I think body panels should be required, size is going to be a tough one, for 2.2 its the size of half a business card in general, so maybe a quarter of the card, must have hood, side panels and roof.....roof can be a tough one especially on the crawlerx chassis, maybe roof could be optional. I was going to say the panels should cover/protect the intended part of the chassis it's mounted to On the outside of the chassis if that makes sense

rik
11-02-2011, 09:35 PM
It does not matter to me one way or the other if panels are required. They are easy to make tho and cost nothing. All I did was take my Ridgeback apart, cut a soda can apart and layed it flat. Then I put thin double sided tape on the back side of the can. Then lay, for example, the side plates on the double side tape and cut the shape out with an exacto knife. Pretty simple. The nose was just roughly measured. The roof was a little more tricky. I just cut a rectangle a little wider and longer than the roof. Then cut out where the braces go. Slap it on, reassemble, and trim to size. .if we do decide to make them a requirement, I don't think there should be a size, just cover what it is intended to cover.

DIRTY
11-02-2011, 10:53 PM
I'm fine with panels big enough to cover wherever it's going. I'll add that to the rules before I forget.

- added it. Let me know if it makes sense

Ironman19
11-03-2011, 01:07 AM
Comon guys body panels for micros now were getting retarded zip ties to hold them on are huge I'm putting a hood and roof I
Will not put sides on I'm sorry I'll sell my rig if
Were gonna get pointless

marzzz23
11-03-2011, 03:25 AM
dude..really? you ever hear of servo tape? your chassis kinda doesnt need them its solid on the side, but on say my ridgeback its open on the sides, it needs panels.........

DIRTY
11-03-2011, 03:30 AM
Body panels are left to the drivers. If you want to run em run em, if you don't then don't.

marzzz23
11-03-2011, 03:51 AM
good enough for me but expect heckling and name calling if your rig has a hole in the side of it!

Ironman19
11-03-2011, 01:59 PM
I'm not saying don't Or u can't just stating tact this is purly fun and we don't need to steer people away with crazy rules wheel base tire size dig rear steer all makes sence anything more than that is pointless we haunt even run yet rules can be mended as we go but as far as panels there only gonna hinder if there not there so y would we ever make it a requirement.

DIRTY
11-03-2011, 02:47 PM
They are no longer required. Body panel usage is left to the drivers discretion.

DIRTY
11-03-2011, 04:40 PM
Wheelbase change for scalers, 1/2 inch total allowed within wheel wells. Then I think the rules will remain as they are until we run the first comp then make changes afterwards if they are needed.

What do YOU guys think?

Ironman19
11-03-2011, 04:59 PM
Sounds great thanx dirty

rik
11-03-2011, 06:06 PM
I'm down..sounds good.

Quirk
11-03-2011, 11:15 PM
Wheelbase change for scalers, 1/2 inch total allowed within wheel wells. Then I think the rules will remain as they are until we run the first comp then make changes afterwards if they are needed.

What do YOU guys think?

Yes a scale truck should resemble a real truck. Wheelbase should fit the openings within a specified tolerance.