PDA

View Full Version : 9volt light system

Maxwedge
08-28-2011, 12:53 AM
I saw on RCC the other day where someone used a common 9v battery to power their led's. I think it was an axial scx dingo light string- 4 whites up front and 2 reds in back. the 9v was glued under the truck's hood with a simple on/off switch controlling it. In the year I've been into scalers this is the first time I've seen a setup like this- not just plugged into the rx.

I like this Idea, because-
-the light system is located totally in the body. When you remove your body for a battery change you don't have to worry about tucking the lighting wires in or anything in the way.
-you can turn your lights on or off simply- no need to open your electr. box or baloon to unplug it.
-your lights aren't taking anything off your run time.

I would want something better than "glueing" the battery in place, but am I missing any drawbacks to this setup?

Quirk
08-28-2011, 01:48 AM
You could Velcro the battery..

No drawbacks that I can think of, just make sure you use the right resistor for the LED, different colors use different voltages. There are programs that you can use online that will calculate the resistance you need, just fill in your info on the LED's and it will show you the resistors you need and where to put them.

I use this one, but there are others. http://ledcalculator.net/
Type in your input voltage
Scroll onto the ? next to "LED voltage drop" and it will show you what voltage for the color LED you want
Use 20 mA
add number of LED's you want to power on that circuit, you can have two circuits one for front, one for rear
Unless you buy a kit that has it figured out already

brazwewn
08-28-2011, 01:49 AM
Weight and the expense of 9v batteries. I use a BEC mounted to the body. The battery connection is the only thing you need to worry with during a battery change. Te BEC gives you steady voltage and runs off the main battery. Just a personal preference really.

Wes

StartGateCrasher
08-28-2011, 03:19 AM
That was my rig I think... I was just ising the 9V because my LED controler hadn't shown up yet. Once I get it hooked up I'll use a 2 pos switch to the 5th CH on my rx to turn it on and off via the radio... I do still plan on powering it through the 9V so that I don't have to just into the system power. As for gluing it, I used hot glue so it's a solid bond and also yanks off and cleans up real easy for a batery swap. So the only change I'll have once it's done is the ability to shut it off and on from the radio and not the switch.

http://i757.photobucket.com/albums/xx216/adambavuso/Scaler/IMAG0282.jpgch.

rik
08-30-2011, 12:27 AM
The ck landrover of mine that your buddy Dave drove at that gtg had the led's powered via a 9v battery. Simple yet effective. Though, led's really don't suck up that much juice. That set up had 6 led's on one battery. Actually, until I parted that rig out, the battery had never been changed. Oh, and I had the 9v zip tied to.the chassis.

Gimp
10-05-2011, 06:54 PM
I've always used a 9v battery, makes things really simple. Best part is you can have one set on the chassis and another set in the body, you'll never have to worry about plugging in connectors or loose wires getting caught in the spur. If you're worried about weight, just put the batteries as low as possible and on the passenger side, helps with torque twist lol.

Maxwedge
10-05-2011, 08:48 PM
Thanks guys. Yeah, I'm not so much worried about the weight, just having wiring running between body and rx. I don't want any wiring getting caught in the drivetrain like someone said, want it all neat and self-contained in the body. And I would only want to use it at night, so having a simple switch somewhere under the fender appeals to me too. Thanks again.